World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Wollert, Victoria

Article Id: WHEBN0008142544
Reproduction Date:

Title: Wollert, Victoria  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Hume Highway, Craigieburn, Victoria, Epping, Victoria, List of Melbourne suburbs, Merri Creek, South Morang, Victoria, Beveridge, Victoria, Darebin Creek, Mernda, Victoria, County of Bourke, Victoria
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Wollert, Victoria

Wollert
Victoria
Uniting church
Coordinates

37°35′49″S 145°01′59″E / 37.597°S 145.033°E / -37.597; 145.033Coordinates: 37°35′49″S 145°01′59″E / 37.597°S 145.033°E / -37.597; 145.033

Population 509 (2011) [1]
Postcode(s) 3750
Elevation 100 m (328 ft)
Location
LGA(s) City of Whittlesea
State electorate(s) Yan Yean
Federal Division(s) McEwen
Localities around Wollert:
Craigieburn Beveridge Beveridge
Craigieburn Wollert Mernda
Epping Epping Mernda

Wollert is a town in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 27 km north of Melbourne's central business district. Its local government area is the City of Whittlesea. At the 2011 Census, Wollert had a population of 509.

History

"Wollert" is an Aboriginal word meaning “where possums abound”, and the suburb takes its name from the land parish in which part of it is situated. From 1836 until the early 1850s, sheep raising was the main activity. In 1853, much of the land was subdivided into smaller farm lots, and necessary access roads laid out. During this period Wollert became a dairying community, with significant dairy production continuing for the Melbourne market until the 1960s. In more recent years, dairying has largely ceased and smaller-scale grazing and Wollert's quarrying and brickmaking facilities represent the suburb's main industries.

The first school, established by the Church of England, commenced in 1852. A bluestone Government school replaced it in 1877 and continued until 1994. A Methodist Church was built in 1878 to replace an earlier one built in 1859. This church continued as the Wollert Uniting Church. The Wollert General Store is still in operation, but the adjacent Dance Palais is no longer is use. Wollert Post Office opened on 1 September 1876, closed in 1895, then reopened in 1902.[2]

During the late 1940s, several large Wollert properties were purchased by the Soldier Settlement Commission. They were then subdivided and allocated to eligible ex-servicemen[3]

Landmarks

  • Australia's largest brickmaker, Brickworks Limited, operates a plant in Wollert.
  • "The Christian Church in Melbourne" has its meeting hall at Wollert, on the site of the former Government school.
  • The historic 1878 Methodist church in Wollert now houses the Annunciation Sisterhood of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.

Notable locals

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.