World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

St. John's Diocesan School for Girls

Article Id: WHEBN0005150539
Reproduction Date:

Title: St. John's Diocesan School for Girls  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: St. John's School, Private schools in KwaZulu-Natal, Educational Institutions of Pietermaritzburg, Mathunjwa High School, Maris Stella School
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

St. John's Diocesan School for Girls

St. John's D.S.G.
St. John's badge
Laborare est Orare
Location
St. John's D.S.G. is located in South Africa
St. John's D.S.G.
St. John's D.S.G.
Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal
South Africa
Coordinates
Information
Type Private, Boarding
Established 1897
Locale Suburban
Principal Mr Simon Moore
Exam board IEB
Grades RR - 12
Number of students 500 girls
School color(s) Yellow and black
Mascot Eagle
Fees R 139 900 p.a. (Matric boarding)
R 74 370 p.a. (Matric day scholar)
Website

St. John's Diocesan School for Girls is a private boarding and day school for girls in Scottsville, Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.

History

It was founded in 1897 by the Society of Sisters of St John the Divine and has an Anglican foundation.

In 1887, Sister Fanny, together with Novices Anna and Margaret (who took their vows soon after they arrived), were sent out to Pietermaritzburg from England to look after and educate orphans. Within months they were running the St Cross Orphanage in Loop Street and had named their little community 'The Society of St John the Divine'.

As the orphanage expanded, the Sisters decided to build a boarding facility to accommodate children who wished to attend school in the town. Thus in 1894 the foundation stone to the convent in Burger Street was laid where the present Medical Centre now exists. Numbers continued to grow and the building next to the convent was acquired for older girls and was named 'St John's School' in 1897. The following year this building became a school for girls from kindergarten to Matric.

In 1913, a site was selected in Scottsville to give "...a freer life . . .more space for playing fields, more accommodation for boarders and better school buildings" and so began the development of the school to what it is today. The original school building, opened in 1915, is now part of the Junior School, the Junior Resource centre being the original school hall.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.