World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

St. David's Island, Bermuda

Article Id: WHEBN0003230513
Reproduction Date:

Title: St. David's Island, Bermuda  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: International cricket in 2013, List of islands of Bermuda, Bermuda–United States relations, Battle Dress, Places of interest in Bermuda
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

St. David's Island, Bermuda

Aerial view of Bermuda, with St. David's Island in the foreground.
St. David's, in 1676. The shape of St. David's Island, and of Castle Harbour (originally Southampton Harbour), was radically altered by the construction of an airfield in 1941, Kindley Field, by the US Army.

St. David's Island is one of the main islands of Long Bird Island and Cooper's Island, in 1942 to 650 acres (2.6 square kilometres) to allow room for a US military base (originally the US Army's Fort Bell/Kindley Field, later Kindley Air Force Base, and then USNAS Bermuda) which occupied over half the island. The base was closed in 1995, but much of its facilities are still used as part of L.F. Wade International Airport. Cooper's Island is now attached to the southeast St. David's, although the two islands are still widely regarded as if they were separate entities.

St. David's Island, as it appears today.

The island was named in honour of Castle Harbor in the south, but is joined to it by road via The Causeway.

Notable features of the island include St. David's Head, Bermuda's easternmost point, and the nearby St. David's Battery, on Great Head (Great Head is the more prominent of two headland which comprise St. David's Head); L.F. Wade International Airport; St. David's Lighthouse; and Annie's Bay on Cooper's Island.

St. David's Island is connected to the United States by an Atlantic fiber Optic cable known as 360 Americas. [1]

As with the rest of Bermuda, the St. David's islanders were established from a diverse group of immigrants, beginning in the 17th Century. These included indentured servants from England, Spanish-speaking Blacks from the West Indies, and Black, Native American, Irish, and Scottish slaves. The last three groups were largely composed of prisoners-of-war and others ethnically-cleansed from their homelands following English wars of conquest. Although hundreds of Native American slaves were absorbed into the population of all of Bermuda, other Bermudians have long distinguished St. David's islanders (disparagingly) as 'Mohawks'. Only two Mohawk boys were recorded as having been imported to Bermuda following Dutch-Mohawk wars, but to many English in the 17th Century, the Mohawks were the best known Native American people, and any Native American was likely to be described as a Mohawk. Today, many St. David's islanders are proud to be called Mohawks, and are actively re-establishing links to Wampanoag, Pequot and other Algonquian nations that contributed to Bermuda's settlement. Since the joining of the Island to the rest of Bermuda by the US Army in the 1940s, the former relative isolation of St. David's has ended. The subsequent influx of other Bermudians to what is seen as a more affordable part of Bermuda to buy property, which increased dramatically after the closure of NAS Bermuda in 1995, has eroded the unique character of the islands population, who were once distinguishable by accent and appearance.

External links

  • Bermuda Online
  • Google Maps satellite photos of Bermunda
  • Cape Cod Online: Worlds Rejoined.
  • Genealogy.com: Massasoit

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.