World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Saratov Governorate

Article Id: WHEBN0041261316
Reproduction Date:

Title: Saratov Governorate  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Tambov Governorate, Fatma Mukhtarova, Volgograd, Kostroma Governorate, Nizhny Novgorod Governorate
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Saratov Governorate

Saratov Governorate
Саратовская губерния
Governorate of Russian Empire
1797–1928

Coat of arms of Saratov

Coat of arms

Location of Saratov
Map of Saratov Governorate, 1896.
Capital Saratov
History
 •  Established 1797
 •  Disestablished 1928
Population
 •  1897 2,405,829 

Saratov Governorate (Russian: Саратовская губе́рния, Saratovskaya guberniya, Government of Saratov), was an administrative division (a guberniya) of the Russian Empire, which existed from 1797 to 1928. Its administrative center was in the city of Saratov.

History

On December 25, 1769, the Saratov province was established as part of the Astrakhan Governorate.

On January 11, 1780, Empress Catherine the Great issued a decree of the establishment of the Saratov governorship of the northern districts of the Astrakhan Governorate to begin on November 7 of that year, followed by a decree on who will lead the new governorship.

For the grand opening of the Saratov governorship, on February 3, 1781, the Astrakhan governor, along with lieutenant-general Jacobi and Bishop Anthony arrived from Astrakhan.

On August 23, 1781 the Empress issued a decree approving the emblems of the city of Saratov and several Saratov governorship county-level cities (Atkarsk, Balashov, Kamyshin, Khvalynsk, Kuznetsk, Petrovsk, Serdobsk, Tsaritsyn, and Volsk).

In 1796, 41 of the governorships which were created by Catherine II had been abolished by her son Emperor Paul I of Russia including a decree on December 12, 1796 to abolish the Saratov governorship, and have its uyezds distributed between Penza and Astrakhan province. Because of the decree of March 5, 1797 Penza province was renamed Saratov province and Saratov was appointed a provincial city. On October 11, 1797 from the Saratov governorate the governorates of Tambov, Nizhny Novgorod and Simbirsk were established, from the rest of the Saratov province decree dated September 9, 1801 the Penza Governorate was established.

In 1802 Novokhopyorsk Uyezd was ceded to the Voronezh Governorate, and Chernoyarsky Uyezd was ceded to the Astrakhan governorate.

In 1835 three new uyezds were created - Nikolayevsk, Novouzensk and Tsarevsky. In 1851 Tsarevsky Uyezd was transferred to the Astrakhan governorate, and Nicholas and Novouzensk Uyezd - to the newly created Samara Governorate.

Because of the decree of July 5, 1878, the coat of arms of Saratov province was approved with the depiction of an azure shield, in which three silver starlet are placed in a forked cross. The shield is crowned by the imperial crown and surrounded by golden oak leaves emblazoned with St. Andrew's cross.

In 1918, part of the governorate was incorporated into the newly formed autonomous region of the Volga Germans.

In 1919, part of Kamyshinsky (returned in 1920) and Tsaritsyno uyezds were transferred to the newly formed Tsaritsyn governorate. The structure of the governorate came from the province of Samara, Nicholas Uyezd and Novouzensk Uyezd.

In 1920, due to downsizing Novouzensk Uyezd formed Dergachyovsky and Pokrovsk Uyezds.

In 1921, due to downsizing Atkarsk Uyezd formed Yelansky Uyezd.

In 1922 Pokrovsk Uyezd was transferred to the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic.

In 1923, the Khvalynsky Uyezd was abolished, its territory is divided between Volsk Uyezd and Kuznetsk Uyezd. Dergachyovsky District was formed through consolidation of Novouzensk Uyezd and Elansky Uyezd with Atkarskaya Uyezd.

In a Resolution of the All-Russian Central Executive Committee on May 21, 1928 Saratov Governorate was abolished and its territory was included in the Lower Volga Oblast, which was later turned into Saratov Krai and Saratov Oblast.

Subdivisions

The Saratov Governorate was divided into 10 uyezds:

Demography

Language

  • Population by mother tongue according to the Imperial census of 1897.

Religion

  • According to the Imperial census of 1897.[1]

References

  • The First General Census of the Russian Empire of 1897. Breakdown of population by mother tongue and districts in 50 Governorates of the European Russia (1777 territorial units)
  1. ^ Religion Statistics of 1897 (Russian)
  2. ^ Eastern Orthodox, including Georgian Orthodox

Further reading


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.