Saint Nikolai Cathedral, Yerevan

Saint Nikolai Cathedral
Basic information
Location Stepan Shahumyan Square and statue place, Kentron District,
Yerevan, Armenia
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Russian Orthodox Church
Status destroyed in 1931
Architectural description
Architectural style Russian
Completed Second half of the 19th century

Saint Nikolai Cathedral (Russian: Николаевский собор, Armenian: Սուրբ Նիկոլայ Մայր եկեղեցի) was a Russian Orthodox cathedral in Yerevan, Armenia and was destroyed in 1931. It was located at the site of what is now Shahumyan Square in Yerevan's Kentron District.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Gallery 2
  • See also 3
  • References 4

History

The Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Nikolai was located in the middle of the north-eastern side of the Cathedral Square (now Shaumyan Square) area. According to O. Khalpahkhyan, this Russian military cathedral at the central square of Yerevan, was built in the second half of the 19th century. The cathedral was built by local red and black tufa in the architectural forms that prevailed at that time in Russia. The cathedral was destroyed in 1931, and later Shahumyan Square was built in its place.

Gallery

See also

References

  • (Russian) ЦЕРКОВНОЕ СТРОИТЕЛЬСТВО В ЕРЕВАНЕ 19 НАЧАЛА 20 ВЕКОВ.
  • (Russian) Православие в Армении
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.