World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Red Bridge (Yerevan)

Article Id: WHEBN0027400199
Reproduction Date:

Title: Red Bridge (Yerevan)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Yerevan, Constitutional Court of Armenia, Charents Museum of Literature and Arts, Yerevan Velodrome, Erebuni Museum
Collection: 1679 Establishments, Bridges in Yerevan
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Red Bridge (Yerevan)

Red Bridge
Կարմիր կամուրջ
Other name(s) Khoja Plav Bridge
Crosses Hrazdan River
Locale Yerevan, Armenia
Material Red tufa
Total length 80 m
Height 11 m
Constructed by Khoja-plav (reconstructed)
Construction end 1679
reconstructed in 1830

The Red Bridge (Armenian: Կարմիր կամուրջ, Karmir kamurj; also known as the Old Bridge of Hrazdan; and also known as Bridge of Khoja Plav, Armenian: Խոջա Փլավի կամուրջ, Khoja Plavi kamurj) is a 17th-century bridge on the Hrazdan River, in Yerevan, Armenia.

Contents

  • Name 1
  • Description 2
  • History 3
  • Gallery 4
  • References 5

Name

It was called ‘red’ because it was built with red tuffa. The bridge was also called “Khoja-plav bridge”, because it was reconstructed by a rich man from Kanaker named Khoja-plav.[1]

Description

The total length of the bridge was 80 meters, and the height was 11 meters. It had 4 arches, 2 were in the middle and were squiggly. Other two arches were in the coasts of the Hrazdan River.[2]

History

Before the 1679 earthquake there was a bridge in the same place, but it was ruined by the earthquake. It provided economic connections between the Yerevan Fortress (in place of the Yerevan Ararat Wine Factory) and the Ararat Plain.

Gallery

References

  1. ^ (Armenian) Yervand Shahaziz, The Old Yerevan (Հին Երևանը), pp. 186-187
  2. ^ (Armenian) V. M. Harutyunyan, Caravanserais and bridges of the Medieval Armenia (Միջնադարյան Հայաստանի քարավանատներն ու կամուրջները), pp. 12
  • (Armenian) Tadevos Hakobyan; (History of Yerevan (1500-1800)ԵՐԵՎԱՆԻ ՊԱՏՄՈՒԹՅՈՒՆԸ (1500–1800 ԹԹ.) , 1971, Publishing of YSU, p. 373

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.