World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Pomoravlje District

Article Id: WHEBN0000696600
Reproduction Date:

Title: Pomoravlje District  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pomoravlje District, Bare, Rekovac, Dobroselica (Rekovac), Brajinovac, Kaludra (Rekovac)
Collection: Districts of Šumadija and Western Serbia, Pomoravlje District
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Pomoravlje District

Pomoravlje District
Поморавски округ
Pomoravski okrug
District of Serbia
Location of Pomoravlje District in Serbia
Location of Pomoravlje District in Serbia
Country  Serbia
Administrative centre Jagodina
Government
 • Commissioner n/a
Area
 • Total 2,614 km2 (1,009 sq mi)
Population (2011 census)
 • Total 214,536
 • Density 82.1/km2 (213/sq mi)
Municipalities 5 and 1 city
Settlements 191
- Cities and towns 6
- Villages 185

The Pomoravlje District (Serbian: Поморавски округ / Pomoravski okrug) is a district of Serbia which expands in the central part of Serbia. It has a population of 214,536. The administrative centre of the Pomoravlje district is Jagodina.

Contents

  • Municipalities 1
  • Demographics 2
  • Culture and history 3
  • See also 4
  • External links 5

Municipalities

The district encompasses the municipalities of:

Demographics

According to the last official census done in 2011, the Pomoravlje District has 214,536 inhabitants. 45.35% of the population lives in the urban areas. Ethnic composition of the district:
Ethnic group Population
Serbs 203,419
Roma 2,638
Vlachs 1,938
Montenegrins 273
Macedonians 259
Romanians 250
Croats 194
Yugoslavs 178
Others 5,387
Total 214,536

Culture and history

The nineteenth century architecture has been partly preserved in the town. Earlier times are witnessed by the remnants of the edifices such as The House of Hajduk Veljko from the seventeenth century. Particularly interesting is the Old Church of Archangel Michael, the endowment of Miloš Obrenović, built in 1818.

The Jošanica Monastery was built in the late seventeenth century at the time of Despot Đurađ Branković's reign, and is regarded the finest medieval building of this region. In the vicinity of Ćuprija stands the Ravanica Monastery with the Church of Assumption, the endowment of Prince Lazar, built between 1375 and 1377. After the death of Prince Lazar Hrebeljanović in the Battle of Kosovo, his holy relics were safeguarded there all until 1690, when their three-century-long moving together with the Serb people started, as to be finally returned to his endowment today.

The Resava-Manasija monastery is located in the immediate vicinity of Despotovac. The Resava endowment of Despot Stefan Lazarević was built between 1407 and 1418. Over the fifteenth century the famous Resava School carried out its work there, in the framework of several workshops in which major texts of the world heritage were copied and the new ones written. Konstantin the Philosopher, the author of the "Hagiography of Despot Stefan" and the "Book on Letters" which regulated the then current Orthography of Serbian language, carried out his creative work in the Resava Monastery.

See also

External links

  • Officijalni sajt Pomoravlja
  • Pomoravlje - portal

Note: All official material made by Government of Serbia is public by law. Information was taken from .rs.gov.srbijawww.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.