World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Montbrison, Loire

Article Id: WHEBN0003116352
Reproduction Date:

Title: Montbrison, Loire  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Ravachol, Michael Portier, Communes of the Loire department, Loire (department), Arrondissement of Montbrison
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Montbrison, Loire

The collegiate church in Montbrison
The collegiate church in Montbrison
Coat of arms of Montbrison
Coat of arms
Montbrison is located in France
Country France
Region Rhône-Alpes
Department Loire
Arrondissement Montbrison
Canton Montbrison
Intercommunality Loire Forez
 • Mayor (2001–2008) Philippe Weyne
Area1 16.33 km2 (6.31 sq mi)
Population (1999)2 21,589
 • Density 1,300/km2 (3,400/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 42147 / 42600
Elevation 370–552 m (1,214–1,811 ft)
(avg. 399 m or 1,309 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Montbrison is a commune in the Loire department in central France.

The commune gives its name to the popular blue cheese Fourme de Montbrison, which has been made in the region for centuries. It received Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée status in 1972.


  • History 1
    • Key dates 1.1
  • Population 2
  • Twin towns 3
  • Notable figures 4
  • References 5
  • External links 6


The town of Montbrison was founded in the area around the lords' castles in the Forez region, of which Montbrison would later become the capital. The earliest recorded reference to the town dates to 870CE.

The town was fortified following the attacks by the English army at the start of the Hundred Years War. During the Religious Wars, Montbrison was captured and pillaged by the Protestant forces of François de Beaumont in 1562, with the town's garrison thrown from the ramparts onto spikes placed by the attackers.[1]

The Convent of the Visitation was founded in 1643 during a period of severe famine. The town suffered a series of poor harvests as well as an outbreak of the plague between the years 1648-1653. The Augustinian Convent was founded in 1654, followed by the Hospital to house the poor in 1659. The Ursuline Convent closed in 1851.

Key dates

  • 1892 - execution of Ravachol, a noted anarchist
  • 1909 - electrical power reaches the town
  • 1940 - (June) the Forez region is occupied by German troops, with Montbrison falling into the 'free' zone. The forces withdrew at the start of July
  • 1944 - (August) Montbrison liberated
  • 1954 - Water treatment plant built
  • 1968 - Jacquou le Croquant broadcast on television
  • 1972 - local cheese Fourme de Montbrison receives Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée status


Twin towns

Montbrison is twinned with:

Notable figures


  • INSEE commune file
  1. ^

External links

  • Official town site

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.