World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Jōchi-ji

Article Id: WHEBN0016685647
Reproduction Date:

Title: Jōchi-ji  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Kamakura, Kanagawa, Shimaki Kensaku, Budai, Nanzen-ji, Rinzai school, Engaku-ji, Tōrō, Japanese Zen, Musō Soseki
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Jōchi-ji

Kinpōzan Jōchi-ji
Jōchi-ji - The Main Hall
Information
Denomination Rinzai, Engaku-ji branch
Founded 1281 - 1283
Founder(s) Hōjō Munemasa, Hōjō Morotoki
Address 1402 Yamanouchi, Kamakura, Kanagawa 247-0062
Country Japan
Website None

Portal:Buddhism

Kinpōzan Jōchi-ji (金宝山浄智寺?) is a Buddhist Zen temple in Kita-Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan. It belongs to the Engaku-ji school of the Rinzai sect and is ranked fourth among Kamakura's Five Mountains. The main objects of worship are the three statues of Shaka, Miroku and Amida Nyorai visible inside the main hall.

History

Officially, the temple was founded in 1283 by Hōjō Munemasa (1253–1281) (son of the fifth Shikken Hōjō Tokiyori) and his son Hōjō Morotoki (1275–1311). However, because the temple opened the year Munemasa died at just 29 and because of Morotoki's age at the time, it's likely that his wife and Munemasa's younger brother Hōjō Tokimune (1251–1284) had a hand in directing its building and its opening.

Priest Nanshu Kōkai (a.k.a. Shin’o Zenji) was invited to open the temple but, feeling too young and not up to the task, he asked the Hōjōs to nominate also Gottan Funei and Daikyu Shonen, both Chinese Zen masters that had come to Japan invited by Hōjō Tokiyori. The temple has therefore the distinction of having three official founding priests.

Points of interest


In her 1918 guide to Kamakura "Kamakura: Fact and Legend", Iso Mutsu had little to say about Jōchi-ji, other than it was in complete decay. She dedicated to it just a half page. In fact, all you see today is new.

At its peak, the temple was far bigger than now; it comprised 11 buildings and 500 people lived in it, but little is left of the original great temple that was one of Kamakura's Five Mountains. All existing buildings were rebuilt after being lost during the Great Kanto Earthquake.

At the entrance there are a pond, a stone bridge and a gate. To the left there's also the Well of Sweet Dew ((甘露ノ井 Kanro no I)?), one of the once-famous Ten Kamakura Wells ((鎌倉十井 Kamakura Jussei)?). Above the gate stand the four characters 寶所在近 (Hōsho Zaikin?), or "The treasure you are looking for is next to you".

After a flight of stone stairs one finds a very unusual feature: the Shōrōmon (鐘楼門), that is a two-storied combination of shōrō (bellfry) and rōmon (gate) restored in 2007. The second story holds a bell made in the year 1340.

In the main hall nearby are three images of Buddha (the already-mentioned Amida, Shaka, and Miroku), the main object of worship, which guard respectively the past, the present and the future.

Behind the main hall are the graveyard, some bamboo groves, numerous cave graves ( the so-called yagura), and the statue of Hotei, the god of good fortune or happiness. After having been touched by generations of Japanese wishing to improve their luck, his belly, his left earlobe and his index finger have been worn smooth.

The street that runs to the left of the front gate takes to the house behind the temple where movie director Yasujiro Ozu used to live in the '50. It's also the starting point of a hiking course that in about 30 minutes will take you to the Zeniarai Benten Shrine.

Getting there: The temple is very near Kita-Kamakura Station.

See also

  • For an explanation of terms concerning Japanese Buddhism, Japanese Buddhist art, and Japanese Buddhist temple architecture, see the Glossary of Japanese Buddhism.

References

  • A Guide to Kamakura accessed on March 28, 2008
  • accessed on March 28, 2008

Coordinates: 35°20′0.24″N 139°32′46.66″E / 35.3334000°N 139.5462944°E / 35.3334000; 139.5462944

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.