World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

English Park (Yerevan)

Article Id: WHEBN0039195958
Reproduction Date:

Title: English Park (Yerevan)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Yerevan, Constitutional Court of Armenia, Charents Museum of Literature and Arts, Yerevan Velodrome, Erebuni Museum
Collection: Parks in Yerevan, Urban Public Parks
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

English Park (Yerevan)

English Park
Newly-married couple around the central fountain of the English Park
Type Public
Location Kentron district, Yerevan, Armenia
Coordinates
Area 5.5 hectares
Created 1860s
reopened 3 October 1910
Operated by Yerevan City Council
Status Open all year

The English Park (Armenian: Անգլիական այգի, Angliakan aygi) is a public park in Yerevan, Armenia, located on Italy Street. It occupies an area of 5.5 hectares in the central Kentron district of the city, just to the south of the Republic Square.

History

The English Park is one of the oldest parks in the city of Yerevan, dating back to the 1860s. It was frequently renovated until the World War I with the major one took place in 1910.[1] In 1920, the English Park hosted the first ever football match in the modern history of Armenia, when the teams of Yerevan and Alexandropol met each other.[2] During the Soviet years the park was named after the 26 Baku Commissars. After the independence of Armenia, the original name of the park was restored.

The Sundukyan Academic Theatre, the French embassy in Armenia, the Italian embassy in Armenia and the Best Western Congress Hotel of Yerevan are located in the English Park.

A monument to Gabriel Sundukyan's fictional character Pepo was erected in the park in 1976.

The newly-married couples are used to take their just-married photos near the central fountains of the English Park.

Gallery

References

  1. ^ Parks in Yerevan
  2. ^ Armenian Encyclopaedia: Football
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.