World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Launch Complex 10

Article Id: WHEBN0021869115
Reproduction Date:

Title: Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Launch Complex 10  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, List of Cape Canaveral and Merritt Island launch sites, 1958 in spaceflight, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Launch Complex 9, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Launch Complex 31
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Launch Complex 10

Launch Complex 10
Launch site Cape Canaveral Air Force Station
Location

28°27′07″N 80°33′25″W / 28.45194°N 80.55694°W / 28.45194; -80.55694Coordinates: 28°27′07″N 80°33′25″W / 28.45194°N 80.55694°W / 28.45194; -80.55694

Short name LC-10
Operator US Air Force
Total launches 10
Launch pad(s) One
Launch history
Status Dismantled
First launch Navaho
12 August 1957
Last launch Draco
27 April 1959
Associated rockets SM-64 Navaho
Jason
Draco

Launch Complex 10 (LC-10) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida was a launch pad used by SM-64 Navaho missiles, and later Jason and Draco sounding rockets. It was located north of Launch Complex 17, where Launch Complexes 31 and 32 are now located. The pad consisted of a small concrete launch structure with an elevated launch pedestal and built-in flame trench, centered on a small oval-shaped concrete pad.

A single Navaho missile was test-launched from LC-10, on 12 August 1957,[1] and was one of only three Navahos to complete a successful flight. Following the cancellation of the Navaho, LC-10 was reused for launches of Jason and Draco sounding rockets during 1958 and 1959. The last launch to use the site was of a Draco on 27 April 1959.

LC-10 was subsequently demolished during the construction of Launch Complexes 31 and 32, which were built on the same site.

Notes

References

  • Encyclopedia Astronautia - Navaho


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.