World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0016037018
Reproduction Date:

Title: Vernaison  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Rhône department, Arrondissement of Lyon, Urban Community of Lyon, Claude Marie Dubuis
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia



Coordinates: 45°38′53″N 4°48′40″E / 45.648°N 4.811°E / 45.648; 4.811Coordinates: 45°38′53″N 4°48′40″E / 45.648°N 4.811°E / 45.648; 4.811

Country France
Region Rhône-Alpes
Department Rhône
Arrondissement Lyon
Canton Irigny
Intercommunality Lyon
 • Mayor (2001–2008) Georgette Paleja
 • Land1 4.03 km2 (1.56 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 1,374
 • Population2 density 340/km2 (880/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 69260 / 69390
Elevation 155–280 m (509–919 ft)
(avg. 161 m or 528 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Vernaison is a commune in the Rhône department in eastern France.


The city is located south of Lyon, on the right bank of the Rhône, facing several islands in the river.

Inhabitants of Vernaison are called Vernaisonnais.


  • Bronze age: Along the Rhône bronze casters settle. Several remains have been found south of Lyon. In the 19th century, the trésor de Vernaison was discovered, the first indication of bronze casting. Nowadays this treasure is exhibited at the Gallo-Roman Museum of Lyon.
  • 1213: The village is founded by Johan Rufus, the abbot of Ainay Abbey (Lyon)
  • 13th century: Toll is exacted at the tour de Genetière (nowadays the Tour de Millery)
  • 14th century: Houses are constructed along the river of a combination of adobe and pebbles (pisé et galets).
  • 15th century: Wine grapes are grown
  • 1439: Benedictine monks quit the village and cede it to inhabitants of Lyon.
  • 1787: A cloth factory is established by three Swiss coming from Geneva.
  • 1887: One of the first associations for a water sport Joute nautique (still practised today) is founded.
  • 1995: A program is started to revalue the side arms of the Rhône.
  • 2003 : A kindergarten is opened

In 1153 Vernaison (Veyrneyson) was noted for the first time in a written document. The etymology of the village name is not well known, although one can distinguish the name Verne ("alder"), a tree common in wet environments.

The parish of Vernaison was a dependency of Charly until 1791.


Vernaison houses traditional enterprises and shops as well as advanced technology firms.

The market is held Wednesday morning and Saturday morning.


Vernaison is linked with

  • Lyon (Place Bellecour) by bus line 15 of the TCL. This line is one the oldest of Grand Lyon, dating from 1906, and stopping in Vernaison from 1980 on.
  • Givors by bus line 215 (bus) of the TCL; this line was established in September 2007.

See also


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.