World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Vaujours

Article Id: WHEBN0003368239
Reproduction Date:

Title: Vaujours  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bol d'Or, Communes of Seine-Saint-Denis, Arrondissement of Le Raincy, Communes of the Seine-Saint-Denis department, Seine-Saint-Denis
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Vaujours

Vaujours
Vaujours town hall
Vaujours town hall
Coat of arms of Vaujours
Coat of arms
Paris and inner ring departments
Paris and inner ring departments
Coordinates:
Country France
Region Île-de-France
Department Seine-Saint-Denis
Arrondissement Le Raincy
Government
 • Mayor (2008 - 2014) Dominique Bailly (NC)
Area1 3.78 km2 (1.46 sq mi)
Population (2006)2 6,172
 • Density 1,600/km2 (4,200/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 93074 / 

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Vaujours is a commune in the northeastern suburbs of Paris, France. It is located 18.2 km (11.3 mi) from the center of Paris, in the département of Seine-Saint-Denis. Known for its wines and fruit until the end of the 19th century, Vaujours is now one of the world's premier producers of plaster of Paris.

History and Heritage

Rue Giffard around 1900

The commune is mentioned in documents predating the 9th century. In archives from the twelfth century, it is named as Vallis Jost and Vaujoi, from the Latin for 'valley of joy'. Around the year 1100, the land belonged to Étienne de Senlis, archdeacon of Notre Dame de Paris who gave it in turn as one of many generous gifts of the time to the Abbey of St Victor, Paris. Henry VI of England and (for a time) of France had a hunting lodge near Montauban Hill, where now there is a housing development which bears his name.

At the end of the 18th century Saint Nicholas Church was constructed. This building still houses the treasures of sacred art, in particular an 18th-century painting representing the baptism of Christ, and a tabernacle from the seventeenth century. Until the start of the 20th century the village of Vaujours was largely controlled by the Pailleux family. The funerary flagstones of the family of the Master who ruled the village from 1760 to 1840 can also be seen in the church.

École Fénelon

In 1844, the 18th-century mansion known as château de Vaujours was converted into Fénelon Horticultural School. Named after the celebrated French writer François Fénelon, this restored some of the former prestige of the mansion. The mansion's wrought ironwork, sculptures and paintings are registered historic monuments and beside the building is a tithe barn dating from the 17th or 18th century.

Vaujours was also a strategic point during the First Battle of the Marne in September 1914, one of

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.