World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Jankent

Article Id: WHEBN0031701665
Reproduction Date:

Title: Jankent  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Oghuz Yabgu State, Archaeology of Kazakhstan, Turkestan, History of Uzbekistan, Central Asia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Jankent

Jankent (Yangikent, Eni-Kent, Djanikand, Yenikent, Yanikand, all meaning New City in Turkic, al-Karyat al-hadith, Dihi Naw, Shehrkent) was a large trading center on the caravan route from Central Kazakhstan to Horezm and Itil regions. Jankent ruins are located on the left bank of the lower Syr Darya, about 25 km southwest from the city Kазалы in the Kазалы district of Kyzyl-Orda province in Kazakhstan.

Archeological excavations found that the initial settlement was established in the 1st century BCE. Written sources mentioned Eni-Kent in the 10th century CE. In the 10th and 11th centuries it was a capital of the Oguz Yabgu State, but in the 12th century Jankent was abandoned. Another Turkic people, Kipchaks and Kimeks of the Kimek Kaganate ended the state by the 12th century. By that time, Selçuk Bey and his Kınık tribe headed to Persia to found their own Muslim state which in the future would become the Great Seljuq Empire, and a part of the state population moved eastward to the N.Pontic areas.

Jankent was surveyed in 1867 by P. Lerch, and in 1946 and 1963 by Chorasmian Archaeological-Ethnological Expedition headed by S.P. Tolstov, it collected materials on the city's history, architecture, culture, and occupations.

References

  • Lerch P., Archaeological trip to the Turkestan Territory in 1867, St. Petersburg, 1870
  • Tolstov S.P., City of Guzes, "Soviet Ethnography", 1947, No 3.

Translated from Great Soviet Encyclopedia http://bse.sci-lib.com/article025457.html

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.