World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0006312306
Reproduction Date:

Title: Zarasai  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Zarasai District Municipality, Marytė Melnikaitė, Lithuanian–Soviet War, Utena County, Russians in Lithuania
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Skyline of Zarasai
Flag of Zarasai
Coat of arms of Zarasai
Coat of arms
Zarasai is located in Lithuania
Location of Zarasai
Country  Lithuania
Ethnographic region Aukštaitija
County Utena County
Municipality Zarasai district municipality
Eldership Zarasai city eldership
Capital of Zarasai district municipality
Zarasai city eldership
Zarasai rural eldership
First mentioned 1506
Granted city rights 1843
Population (2005)
 • Total 8,001
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)

Zarasai (   ) is a city in northeastern Lithuania, surrounded by many lakes and rivers: to the southwest of the city is Lake Zarasas, to the north – Lake Zarasaitis, to the southeast – Lake Baltas, and the east – Lake Griežtas. Lakes Zarasaitis and Griežtas are connected by the River Laukesa.

In Polish, the town was known since the first third of the 16th century as Jeziorosy, from jezioro meaning lake . In 1836, the town was renamed to Novoalexandrovsk in honor of Tsar Nicholas I's son Alexander. This name was maintained until 1918. From 1919 to 1929, in the newly independent Lithuania, the town was called Ežerėnai, from ežeras, the Lithuanian word for lake. The Yiddish name Ezherene is derived from Ežerėnai. The current Lithuanian name Zarasai was adopted only in 1929.

Zarasai holds the record for the highest recorded daytime temperature in Lithuania of 38.5 °C (2014).

A few music festivals are held in Zarasai in summer. Such as: Mėnuo Juodaragis, Roko naktys.


  • History 1
  • Famous people 2
  • References 3
  • External links 4


Zarasai in 1864
Zarasai Park

The exact date of the city's foundation is unknown, but a date around the turn of the 15th/16th centuries is generally accepted and 1506 is the official date of foundation. At that time a manor stood in the present town’s territory, and a monastery and church on Didzioji Island in Zarasas Lake. The settlement was located on one of the largest ancient trade-routes from Riga to Pskov.

The terrain itself was one of the domains of the diocese of Vilnius from the 14th century to the 18th century. Zarasai manor was mentioned in written sources at the end of the 15th century and in 1522 Zarasai was recorded as a small town. In 1598 Zarasai was termed a volost. In 1613 Zarasai was marked on a map of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, with the place-name written in Polish as Jeziorosa.

By 1669 the town had a population of over 300. There were craftsmens' workshops and an inn, a network of streets and main roads to the nearby towns. However further development was obstructed by wars, diseases and fires. The Great Northern War and the plague at the beginning of the 18th century caused great damage to the small town and its citizens. According to an inventory of 1721 there were only 100 people living in the town, and the craftsmen did not develop their activities.

The first Orthodox church of the Old Believers was built in Barauka, Zarasai, in 1735. Significant growth occurred during the second half of the 18th century, when a school and a customs agency were established; the agency issued permits to sell flax in Riga. In 1795 after the third partition of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, Zarasai and nearby territories were taken by the Russian Empire. Zarasai manor and the town were given to Vilnius Guberniya. Zarasai was on the road between St. Petersburg and Warsaw, construction of which began during the first half of the 19th century. The section from Zarasai to Kaunas was built in 1830-1836, which increased the commercial importance of the town.

Monument to the completion of the Kaunas–Daugavpils road

Despite several confrontations between the Tzar’s army and rebels near Zarasai, and a disastrous fire of 1834 that burned down practically the whole town centre, the population grew and the rebuilt town rapidly developed. In 1836 Tsar Nicholas I of Russia visited the town and was so impressed by the wonderful landscape that he decided to rename the town in the name of his son Alexander. As there were a few towns in the Empire named Aleksandrovsk, Zarasai was renamed to Novo Aleksandrovsk and was so called from 1836 to 1918. At the same time a coat of arms was granted and Zarasai county (Zarasai county covered an area of 7223 sq.m. in 1897), formed out of a part of Braslaw county, was attached to Kaunas Guberniya.

In 1837 the centre of Zarasai was rebuilt to a new plan, with a central horseshoe-shaped square bounded by a road, from which a network of streets radiated. The intention was to prevent major fires- Zarasai is the only town in Lithuania which has such a plan, which has remained without any major changes.

Zarasai was liberated from the Bolsheviks at the end of August 1919, and in that year a Lithuanian name, Ezerenai, was given to the town. Since linguists discovered this name to be of Selonian origin, the name was changed in 1929 to Zarasai. In 1924 a territory of Zarasai county was finally approved; public offices of the independent Lithuania were developed in the town. During the period of independence Zarasai was an important summer resort for holidaymakers who came from all over Lithuania.

In 2010, the Zarasai Region became one of the European Destinations of Excellence.[1]

Famous people


  1. ^

External links

  • Official page
  • Zarasai on Litauen Netz
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.