World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Whittlesea railway station, Melbourne

Article Id: WHEBN0007122078
Reproduction Date:

Title: Whittlesea railway station, Melbourne  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Yan Yean railway station, Epping railway station, Melbourne, Lalor railway station, Thomastown railway station, Melbourne, Reservoir railway station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Whittlesea railway station, Melbourne

Whittlesea
Line(s) Whittlesea
Platforms 1
Tracks 4, with a Run-Around loop and siding that connected with the Kinglake Timber Tramway
Other information
Status Closed
History
Opened 1889
Closed 1950s

Whittlesea was the original terminus station on the Melbourne - Whittlesea line, which opened in 1889. Whittlesea, Victoria, Australia.[1]

History

Despite comparative closeness to Melbourne, the town of Whittlesea and the stations it served beyond the Melbourne suburban electrified area had a comparatively small population. The freight service to Whittlesea was closed in the mid 1950s and the passenger service remained until the line beyond Thomastown was closed on 28 November 1959. The line was partially reopened for suburban electric trains as far Epping in the early 1960s, with the track beyond removed in 1970, although the section from Epping from South Morang has been subsequently relaid and opened in 2012. The former right-of-way remains in Victorian Government ownership, with the section between South Morang and Mernda proposed to be reopened over the next decade. The station also had a siding which connected to the Kinglake timber tramway.[2]

Closed station navigation
Whittlesea line
← Previous station Yan Yean Terminus

References

  1. ^ Whittlesea - Vicsig infrastructure http://www.vicsig.net/infrastructure/location/Whittlesea
  2. ^ Wooden rails to Kinglake and Flowerdale : timber tramways of Whittlesea by R. Alger ISBN 0909340137


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.