Voŭčyn

Voŭčyn or Volchin (Belarusian: Воўчын, Polish: Wołczyn, Russian: Волчин) is a village in Kamenets Raion, Brest Voblast, Belarus. It was the birthplace of the last king of Poland, Stanisław August Poniatowski.

History

In the early 18th century, a palace complex was built at Wołczyn by Prince Fryderyk Michał Czartoryski. It belonged to the Czartoryski and Poniatowski families. The only standing remains are the ruins of the 1729 Chapel of the Holy Trinity, which in Soviet times was used as a fertilizer warehouse.

In 1938 the remains of Stanisław August Poniatowski were moved to the Holy Trinity Chapel from St. Catherine's Church in Saint Petersburg. When the town was annexed by the Soviet Union in September 1939, the tomb was despoiled and destroyed. Church of Holy Trinity is reviving. The belfry with the old clock are at the top now, still further restoration is needed.

In 1995 the king's remains were moved to St. John's Cathedral in Warsaw.

External links

  • (Polish) Geographical Dictionary of the Kingdom of Poland (1893)
  • (English) Andrea Simon "Bashert: A Granddaughter’s Holocaust Quest", University Press of Mississippi, Jackson, 2002, ISBN 1-57806-481-3

Coordinates: 52°17′09″N 23°18′37″E / 52.28583°N 23.31028°E / 52.28583; 23.31028

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.