World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Vila Velha, Brazil

Article Id: WHEBN0004907917
Reproduction Date:

Title: Vila Velha, Brazil  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of K-1 events, Tourism in Brazil, Sheyla Hershey
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Vila Velha, Brazil

Coordinates: 20°20′11″S 40°17′37″W / 20.33639°S 40.29361°W / -20.33639; -40.29361

Vila Velha
Municipality
The Municipality of Vila Velha
Skyline of Vila Velha.

Seal
Nickname(s): The Land of the Green Shins (Portuguese: Terra dos Canelas-Verdes)
Country  Brazil
Region Southeast
State Espírito Santo
Founded May 23, 1535
Government
 • Mayor Rodney Miranda(DEM)
Area
 • Total 208 km2 (80 sq mi)
Population (2010)
 • Total 427,579
 • Density 1,906/km2 (4,940/sq mi)
Time zone UTC-3 (UTC-3)
Postal Code 29100-000
Area code(s) +55 27
Website Vila Velha, Espírito Santo

Vila Velha (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈvilɐ ˈvɛʎɐ], Old Town) is a coastal town in Espírito Santo, Brazil. It lies across from Vitória, the state capital. Its population was 396,323 (2005) and its area is 208.82 km².[1]

Vila Velha forms part of the Greater Vitória metropolitan area. To the north is Vitória, to the west Cariacica and Viana, to the south Guarapari, and to the east the Atlantic Ocean.

Notable corporations in Vila Velha include Garoto, one of Brazil's largest chocolate manufacturers.

Vila Velha has been through several years of intense real estate development and several luxury buildings are now a common sight in all of its main beaches. Some critics argue that this practice can be considered excess urbanization of a previously low-profile area, despite the economic benefits.

The Deputy Darcy Castelo de Mendonça Bridge, known as Third Bridge (Portuguese: Terceira Ponte), is the second tallest bridge in Brazil, connecting and reducing the distance between the cities of Vila Velha and Vitória.

History

Vila Velha is the oldest township in Espírito Santo, having been founded on the 23 May 1535. First called Vila do Espírito Santo, it was founded by Vasco Fernandes Coutinho and initially served as the capital of Espírito Santo. Coutinho, owner of the Espírito Santo colony, was forced to return to Portugal around 1550 in order to recruit new colonists, as there were not enough to sustain the colony. Upon his return, however, he discovered that there had been violent disputes between the colonists, slaves, and Indians, which had forced most inhabitants to flee to the island of Vitória. In response, Coutinho relocated the capital to Vitória. Afterward, Vila Velha remained a quiet town until quite recently; the 1828 census, for example, showed only 1,250 people in the town. Today, however, Vila Velha is the biggest city in the entire state of Espírito Santo, and has approximately 500,000 inhabitants.

The nickname Green Shins given to people from Vila Velha originated from the green algae that stuck to the legs of sailors returning from shore to Coutinho's ship in 1535.[2]

External links

  • History of Vila Velha (in Portuguese)
  • History of Ponta da Fruta Vila Velha (in Portuguese)

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.