World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

University of Niš

 

University of Niš

University of Niš
Универзитет у Нишу
Univerzitet u Nišu
Established 1965
Type Public
Rector Dragan Antić
13
1,502
Students 27,000
Location Niš, Serbia
Website www.ni.ac.rs

The University of Niš (Serbian: Универзитет у Нишу / Univerzitet u Nišu) is a university in Niš, Serbia. It was founded in 1965 and it consists of 13 faculties with 1500 teachers, 630 staff and extracurricular staff, and around 30,000 students. Since its foundation the university diploma has been acquired by more than 50,000 students, including 1,300 foreigners.

It has a university library "Nikola Tesla"; the Faculty of Technology is in Leskovac and the Teacher-Training Faculty is in Vranje.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Organization 2
  • University building 3
  • See also 4
  • External links 5

History

University of Niš

The University of Niš was incorporated as an independent degree-granting institution on June 15, 1965.

Its establishment rounded off an important, in many ways pioneering, period in the more recent history of the town which started in 1960 when the first undergraduate programs commenced in Niš under the academic patronage of the University of Belgrade. They were institutionalized as the faculties of Law & Economics, Medicine, and Engineering, constituting a core from which a more and more complex and richer physiognomy of the university would systematically develop, following the demands of the times.

The university started its independent life with 234 full-time teaching staff and 6,800 students. The increase of the student population, the development of new disciplines, and the rising needs of the immediate and broader industrial and social environment brought about a reorganization of the existing faculties and foundation of new ones.

Accordingly:

  • 1968: the Department of Electronics grew into the Faculty of Electronic Engineering;
  • 1970: the two departments of the Faculty of Law and Economics became independent faculties;
  • 1971: the Departments of Mechanical and Civil Engineering became separate, independent faculties. In the same year, the Faculty of Philosophy was established with seven departments: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Sociology, Psychology, English and Physical Education;
  • 1972: the Faculty of Occupational Safety grew out of the Faculty of Civil Engineering;
  • 1979: the Faculty of Technology was founded;
  • 1987: the Faculty of Philosophy grew to include the Department of Serbian Language and Literature;
  • 1993: the Teacher-Training Faculty in Vranje enrolled its first generation of students;
  • 1995: the Faculty of Civil Engineering expended its academic mission to include a new Department of Architecture which was consequently added to its name;
  • 1998: the academic structure of the Faculty of Philosophy widened to include the Department of History. In the same year the Faculty of Fine Art and the Faculty of Applied Art and Design of the Belgrade University of Art opened their academic divisions in Niš;
  • 1999: the Faculty of Science and Mathematics and the Faculty of Physical Culture grew out of the Faculty of Philosophy;
  • 2000: the university family became richer with six new departments: Geography and Biology with Ecology (adjoined to the Faculty of Science and Mathematics), Philosophy, Pedagogy, Slavic & Balkan Studies and Fine Arts (attached to the Faculty of Philosophy);
  • 2002: the Faculty of Fine Arts is established with three study options — for visual arts, applied arts and music — previously functioning in the Department of Fine Arts of the Faculty of Philosophy;
  • 2004: a new department was formed at the Faculty of Philosophy: Department for Journalism;
  • 2008: the Department of Serbian Language and Literature of the Faculty of Philosophy was divided into the Department of Serbian Language and Department of Serbian and Comparative Literature.
  • 2013: a new department was formed at the Faculty of Philosophy: Department for French language;

Organization

Medical School building

The beginning of the third millennium finds the university as a medium-sized, mature and well-developed academic community comprising thirteen academic units:

Eleven faculties are located in Niš. The Faculty of Technology is in Leskovac and the Teacher-Training Faculty is in Vranje.

Most of the mentioned faculties have a composite structure, i.e., departments, divisions or majors offering wide and diversified study and research opportunities at the undergraduate and graduate levels, including opportunities to obtain Ph.D. degrees.

Over the past 45 years, the teaching staff has grown to 1,558 and its student body to more than 29,000 including 71 foreign students.

So far, more than 49,000 students have graduated from the university, 2,254 have earned master's degree and 1,275 have successfully defended their doctoral dissertations.

University building

View of the University of Niš from the Nišava River

The university main offices are in one of the most representative city structures, an edifice built in the late 19th century, which was formally recognized as a cultural treasure of major significance in 1979.

The building was constructed in 1887, in the city center, at the right bank of the river Nisava, for the needs of the district authorities of that time. The monumental building bears characteristics of the neo-Renaissance style, designed by an unknown Viennese architect. During its long history, it first housed the District Court, the District Government and the military headquarters and then, from July 26, 1914 to October 16, 1915, when Niš was the Serbian war capital, the building was the seat of the Serbian government and its Ministry of the Interior. The formal declaration of war was directed from Austria-Hungary on July 28, 1914 to this building.

In 1930, the building became the administrative seat of the Morava County, after the World War II it housed the District Administration, while in 1967 it was assigned to the permanent use to the University of Nis.

In 2008, marking the 120th anniversary of its building, the University of Niš completed adaptation and construction work to enable access for persons with disabilities to all university facilities.

See also

External links

  • University of Niš official website (Serbian) (English)
  • University library "Nikola Tesla"



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.