World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Surp Zoravor Astvatsatsin Church

Surb Zoravor Astvatsatsin Church
Surp Zoravor Astvatsatsin Church is located in Armenia
Surp Zoravor Astvatsatsin Church
Shown within Armenia
Basic information
Location in a courtyard north of Pushkin and Ghazar Parpetsi Streets,
Kentron Yerevan, Armenia
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Armenian Apostolic Church
Region Yerevan
Territory Armenia
District Kentron District
Ecclesiastical or organizational status Church
Status Active
Architectural description
Architectural type Triple-nave basilica without dome
Architectural style Armenian
Completed 1694

Surb Zoravor Astvatsatsin Church (Armenian: Սուրբ Զորավար Աստվածածին եկեղեցի) is one of the oldest surviving churches of the Armenian capital Yerevan. It was previously called Surp Astvatsatsin, but later it was renamed "Surp Zoravor", most probably in the honour of Saint Vartan Mamikonian. The church is located in the Shahar District of Old Yerevan where the tomb and the Chapel of Ananias the Apostle were previously located. This chapel was looked upon as a famous sanctuary.


With the generous financial support of the residents of Yerevan, Abbot Movses Syunetsi built a monastery complex that was made up of the said church, the chapel, as well as of chambers for the members of the congregation, and the diocese, all enclosed with fortified walls. Forming here a congregation, he established a monastic school.

The reconstruction of the monastery took place during the reign of Philip I of Armenia (Pilipos), the Catholicos (1632–1635). However, fate had determined that the newly built monastery should not last long. It was completely destroyed by the earthquake of 1679.

Present-day Surp Zoravor Church was built in 1693 on the same site of the monastery after the said earthquake thanks to the donation of Khoja Panos, a very wealthy resident of Yerevan. An inscription recorded one hundred years after the building of the church, we learn that the church was renovated by Gabriel Haryurapet during the reign of Catholicos Luke I. The church is of the three-nave basilica type with no dome. On the eastern side of the prayer hall is the main altar with vestries at the northern and southern corners. Architecturally, the interior and exterior features of the church are characterized by a striking simplicity. To a certain extent the tri-vaulted porch in the western part of the church with decorative columns provides a substantial liveliness. On the flat parts of the outer walls there are beautifully carved khachkars (cross stones) bearing dates referring to the seventeenth century.

In 1889, a new building for the St. Anania Chapel was constructed on the northeastern side of the church with stairs leading to the graveyard on the eastern flank.

After serving different purposes throughout the period of the Soviet rule, the Surp Zoravor Church was returned to the believers and thus became active. The Surp Zoravor Church, under the auspices of the Mother See, saw thorough repair and improvement in the 70's. The decayed and falling parts of the walls and roofs were repaired and restored, a gallery was added for the church choir and a new house was built for the pastors. The Chapel of St. Anania also underwent restoration. The total cost of the repair and restoration of the church, as well as of the improvement of the surroundings were donated by the Holy See’s benefactor Mr. Sarkis Petrossian, an Armenian resident of France.



  • Araratian Patriarchal Diocese
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.