Shire of Bacchus Marsh

Shire of Bacchus Marsh
Victoria
Location in Victoria
Population 12,590 (1992)[1]
Established 1862
Area 565 km2 (218.1 sq mi)
Council seat Bacchus Marsh
County Bourke, Grant
Shire of Bacchus Marsh Logo.jpg
LGAs around Shire of Bacchus Marsh:
Kyneton Newham & Woodend Gisborne
Ballan Shire of Bacchus Marsh Melton
Ballan Corio Werribee

The Shire of Bacchus Marsh was a local government area about 50 kilometres (31 mi) west of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 565 square kilometres (218.1 sq mi), and existed from 1862 until 1994.

History

Bacchus Marsh was first incorporated as a road district on 14 October 1862, and became a shire on 23 January 1871. On 15 March 1911, it annexed part of the Lara Riding of the Shire of Corio, and on 5 February 1921, part of the shire was annexed to the Shire of Kyneton.[2]

On 15 December 1994, the Shire of Bacchus Marsh was abolished, and, along with the Shire of Ballan, was merged into the Shire of Moorabool, which was created earlier in May 1994 after the merger of the Shire of Bungaree and parts of the Shire of Buninyong.[3]

Wards

The Shire of Bacchus Marsh was divided into four ridings in 1975, each of which elected three councillors:

  • Bacchus Riding
  • Coimadai Riding
  • Parwan Riding
  • Pentland Riding

Towns and localities

Population

Year Population
1954 3,972
1958 4,290*
1961 4,411
1966 4,690
1971 5,083
1976 6,052
1981 7,513
1986 9,342
1991 11,854

* Estimate in 1958 Victorian Year Book.

References

Coordinates: 37°41′S 144°26′E / 37.683°S 144.433°E / -37.683; 144.433

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.