World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

San Lorenzo fuori le mura

Article Id: WHEBN0003124490
Reproduction Date:

Title: San Lorenzo fuori le mura  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Mosaic, Lawrence of Rome, Sant'Agnese fuori le mura, Seven Pilgrim Churches of Rome, Churches of Rome, Villa Celimontana, Tiburtina (Rome Metro)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

San Lorenzo fuori le mura

Papal Basilica of Saint Lawrence outside the Walls
Basilica Papale di San Lorenzo fuori le Mura (Italian)

The Basilica di San Lorenzo fuori le Mura is a shrine to the martyred Roman deacon, Saint Lawrence. The facade was rebuilt after being devastated by an Allied bombing on July 19, 1943.

Basic information
Location Rome, Italy
Geographic coordinates 41°54′09″N 12°31′14″E / 41.90250°N 12.52056°E / 41.90250; 12.52056Coordinates: 41°54′09″N 12°31′14″E / 41.90250°N 12.52056°E / 41.90250; 12.52056

Affiliation Roman Catholic
Province Diocese of Rome
Ecclesiastical or organizational status Papal minor basilica, parish church
Leadership P. Bruno Mustacchio
Website
Architectural description
Architectural type Church
Direction of façade WbS
Groundbreaking 4th century
Specifications
Length 90 metres (300 ft)
Width 25 metres (82 ft)
Width (nave) 14 metres (46 ft)

The Papal Basilica of Saint Lawrence outside the Walls (Italian: Basilica Papale di San Lorenzo fuori le Mura) is a Roman Catholic parish church and minor basilica, located in Rome, Italy. The basilica is one of the Seven Pilgrim Churches of Rome and one of the five Patriarchal basilicas, each of which is assigned to a patriarchate. St. Lawrence outside the Walls is assigned to the Patriarchate of Jerusalem.

The papal[1] basilica is the shrine tomb of the church's namesake, Saint Lawrence, one of the first seven deacons of Rome martyred in 258. Pope Pius IX, who has been beatified, is also buried at the basilica.

History

Before the present-day basilica was constructed, the estate upon which it sits was once home to a small oratory built by Emperor Constantine I. The emperor built it over the site on which it was believed that Saint Lawrence was executed. In the 580s, Pope Pelagius II commissioned the construction of a church over the site, in honor of the martyr. In the 13th century, Pope Honorius III commissioned the construction of another church in front of the older structure. It was adorned with frescoes depicting the lives of Saint Lawrence, and the first martyred deacon Saint Stephen, who is interred with Lawrence in the confessio under the high altar. The two structures were united as part of a program of urban renewal. Excavations have revealed several other crypts of various people, buried below street level. Saint Hilarius is buried here.

The portico, c. 1220, has Cosmatesque decoration by the Vassaletti family of craftsmen. The 13th-century frescoes, which have been recently reconstructed, depict scenes from the lives of St Stephen and St Lawrence, both deacons and martyrs.

There are two ancient sarcophagi in the portico. A Christian one, possibly decorated in the 7th century on an older sarcophagus, has a relief depicting putti picking grapes. While vines and grapes are symbols of the Eucharist, this is not likely here. Two Romanesque stone lions were moved here from the old entrance.

The campanile was built in the 12th century. Just inside the entrance is the tomb of Guglielmo Cardinal Fieschi, died 1256, but entombed in an ancient sarcophagus, incidentally decorated with a relief depicting a pagan marriage feast.

The choir enclosure and pulpit has Cosmatesque decoration, and there is also a fine Cosmatesque Paschal candlestick made in the 12th or 13th century.

The antique Ionic capital on the column directly behind the pulpit has carvings of a frog and a lizard. On the triumphal arch are Byzantine mosaics from the 6th century, depicting Christ with saints. The confessio is below the high altar, and can be entered from the nave. Here, St Lawrence and St Stephen are enshrined. The latter was brought here from Constantinople by Pope Pelagius II when he restored the church. Behind the high altar is a papal altar with an inscription naming the makers, of the Cosmati family, and dating it to 1148.

In more recent history, the Basilica di San Lorenzo fuori le Mura was home to the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem from 1374 to 1847. In 1943, the church was bombed during World War II. Restoration lasted until 1948, allowing some 19th-century accretions to be removed; however, the frescoes on the facade were lost.

Burials

Notes

Bibliography

  • Mondini, Daniela, S. Lorenzo fuori le mura, in: P. C. Claussan, D. Mondini, D. Senekovic, Die Kirchen der Stadt Rom im Mittelalter 1050-1300, Band 3 (G-L), Stuttgart 2010, pp. 317–527, ISBN 978-3-515-09073-5
  • A. Muñoz, La Basilica di S.Lorenzo fuori le mura, Roma 1944.
  • G. Da Bra, S.Lorenzo fuori le mura, Roma 1952
  • R. Krautheimer, Corpus basilicarum christianarum Romae, S.Lorenzo fuori le mura, Città del Vaticano 1962.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.