World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Saint John the Baptist Church, Yerevan

Article Id: WHEBN0023884323
Reproduction Date:

Title: Saint John the Baptist Church, Yerevan  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Holy Trinity Church, Yerevan, Saint Sarkis Cathedral, Yerevan, Saint Sarkis Church, Nor Nork, Saint Gregory the Illuminator Cathedral, Yerevan, Surp Zoravor Astvatsatsin Church
Collection: Armenian Churches in Yerevan
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Saint John the Baptist Church, Yerevan

Saint John the Baptist Church
Սուրբ Հովհաննէս Մկրտիչ Եկեղեցի
Saint John the Baptist Church
Saint John the Baptist Church, Yerevan is located in Armenia
Saint John the Baptist Church, Yerevan
Shown within Armenia
Basic information
Location Kond Area, Kentron,
Yerevan, Armenia
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Armenian Apostolic Church
Region Yerevan
District Kentron
Year consecrated 1710
Ecclesiastical or organizational status active
Architectural description
Architect(s) Baghdasar Arzoumanian, Areg Israyelyan
Architectural style Armenian

Saint John the Baptist Church (Armenian: Սուրբ Հովհաննէս Մկրտիչ Եկեղեցի, Surp Hovhannes Mkrtich) is an active church in the old area of Kond, Yerevan, Armenia. First, it was built on the height of Kond district, in 1710, in the place of a medieval church ruined as the result of a destructive earthquake. It was built by a rich man, Melik Aghamal, living in Yerevan. Like the other medieval churches, this is a three-nave basilic church. The rectangular plan of the church includes the prayer-hall and the main altar on the eastern side, attached to which are the sacristies.

History

Being concerned by the unattractive state of the church, in 1979, architect Rafael Israelyan presented to Catholicos of All Armenians Vazgen I a project of basic reconstruction of the church. The plan was improved, but unfortunately, the architect died the same year. After 10 years author’s son, architect Areg Israyelian turned his father’s initiative into a technical project, which was allowed to realize. The work project was prepared by the honored architect Baghdasar Arzoumanian and designing engineer Avetik Tekevejian. In 1980s the Church was entirely reconstructed and restored under the direct leadership of the civil engineer Mikayel Hovhannissian. The dome and the walls of the church were faced with tuf stone. Large-scale works were realized inside the church. In the western side an additional storey was built for the choir, the floor was paved with marble, the wall of the main altar was ornamented, the interior was renovated. Also the bell-tower of the church was built. In 2000 the educational-cultural center “Hovhannes Kozern” was built nearby the church where foreign language and computer courses are organized, the school of Icon art functions.

Gallery

External links

  • Araratian Patriarchal Diocese
  • Yerevan Municipality
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.