World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Port of Bar

Article Id: WHEBN0006993823
Reproduction Date:

Title: Port of Bar  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Serbia and Montenegro, Montenegro, Adriatic Sea
Collection: Companies of Montenegro
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Port of Bar

Port of Bar
Лука Бар
Location
Country Montenegro
Location Bar
Details
Opened June 27, 1906
Operated by - Global liman isletmeleri
Employees 500
Luka Bar a.d. chairman Slobo Pajović
Kontejnerski Terminal i Generalni Tereti a.d. chairman Andrija Radusinović
Statistics
Vessel arrivals 179 (2012)
Annual cargo tonnage 805.219 tonnes (2012)
Annual revenue US$25 million
Website
Official Website

The Port of Bar (Montenegrin: Luka Bar, Лука Бар, MNSE: LUBA) is Montenegro's main sea port. It is located in Bar.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Terminals 2
  • Ferry Lines 3
  • See also 4
  • External links 5

History

The Port of Bar was used as a sea port for Scutari before it was conquered by the Turks in 1571.

Right after the conquest of Bar, the Turks constructed a small port with one breakwater and wooden pier. This former Turkish port has been maintained and expanded since 1878, when Montenegro gained Bar after becoming officially independent from Ottoman Turkey. Montenegro became the first South Slavic state to have a port to the sea.

Construction of the port formally started on March 23, 1905 when King Nikola I, on board on the yacht "Rumija", plunged a foundation stone, on which his initials and the date were carved in, into the sea.

The Port of Bar officially began construction on June 27, 1906, even though the port was founded the same day.

Coen Caglia, the Italian expert in maritime construction had, at that time, designed the port for an annual turnover of 3 million tons of cargo.

Out of all what was planned in that period, only the 250 meter long breakwater was constructed and put into operation on October 23, 1909.

During World War II, Germans mined and destroyed it almost completely in 1944 while retreating. Its reconstruction started in 1950, and the construction for a large port started four years later. The first phase was completed in 1965.

The second phase that had in its plan an annual turnover of cca 5 million tons of cargo was almost completed, when the catastrophic earthquake struck in 1979, destroying more than half of its modern port facilities.

The reconstruction and renewal of the port's facilities started in 1981 and today's port of Bar, capable of handling cca 5 million tons of cargo, officially began operations on July 13, 1983.

Currently, the Port of Bar is operating with a financial loss, and significantly below its designed capacity. With Montenegrin market being too small to fully utilize its capacity and make it a profitable port, it is generally accepted that Port of Bar has to acquire new markets to which it would cater. The announced building of Belgrade–Bar motorway and proposed reconstruction of Belgrade - Bar railway would thus mark a breakthrough in attracting the Serbian, and thus the Central European market.

Terminals

  • RO - RO Terminal
  • Timber Terminal
  • Container Terminal
  • General Cargo Terminal
  • Bulk Terminal
  • Grain Terminal
  • Liquid Cargo Terminal
  • Passenger Terminal

Ferry Lines

  • Bar-Bari, Bari-Bar

See also

External links

  • (Montenegrin) (English) Official Website
  • (Montenegrin) (English) Listing on the Montenegro Stock Exchange
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.