World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Novorossiysk Governorate

Article Id: WHEBN0026981005
Reproduction Date:

Title: Novorossiysk Governorate  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Novorossiya, New Russia (disambiguation), Novorossiysk (disambiguation), Artemivsk, Donetsk Oblast, History of Crimea
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Novorossiysk Governorate

Novorossiysk Governorate
Governorate of Russian Empire

 

 

1764–1783  

Capital Kremenchug
History
 -  Established March 22 1764
 -  Disestablished 1783
Political subdivisions provinces, uyezds

The Novorossiysk Governorate (Russian: губернiя; translit.: guberniya) was a governorate in the Russian Empire. It was created on 2 April [O.S. 22 March] 1764 as a military district for the protection of the southern border of the empire and in preparation to the major military campaign of Russo-Turkish War. The governorate united the territories of New Serbia and New Sloboda, which today are located on the territory of Kirovohrad Oblast. The preparation was strategically successful and advantageous for Russians and upon the conclusion of the war it gave a way to access the Black Sea and establishing an area that became to be known as New Russia.

The capital of the governorate at first was the city of Kremenchug. The governorate initially was divided into three territories (polki) assigned to each regiment in the area: New Sloboda Cossaks Regiment, Black Hussars Regiment, and Yellow Hussars Regiment.

Subdivisions

  • Bakhmut Province (1764-1775) transferred to the Azov Governorate
  • Kremenchug Province
  • Yekaterine Province
  • Yelizaveta Province

Governors

  • 1789–94 Vasiliy Kakhovsky
  • 1795–96 Iosif Khorvat
  • 1797–1800 Ivan Seletsky
  • 1800–01 Ivan Nikolayev
  • 1801–02 Mikhail Miklashevsky

See also

External links

  • Yekaterinoslav Guberniya – Historical coat of arms
  • Encyclopedia of Ukraine

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.