World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Little Russia Governorate

Article Id: WHEBN0014660937
Reproduction Date:

Title: Little Russia Governorate  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Kiev Governorate, Volhynian Governorate, Yekaterinoslav Governorate, Kostroma Governorate, Ryazan Governorate
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Little Russia Governorate

Malorossiya Governorate
Малороссiйская губернiя
Governorate of Russian Empire

 

 

1796–1802
 

Capital Chernigov
History
 -  Established 12 December 1796
 -  Disestablished 27 February 1802

The Little Russia Governorate (Russian: Малороссiйская Губернiя) or Government of Malorossiya was an administrative-territorial unit (guberniya) of the Russian Empire that encompassed most of the modern North Eastern Ukraine (one of the historical definitions of Little Russia hence the name), and the adjacent regions in Russia.

The Governorate was formed in 1796 under the administrative reforms of Paul I which abolished the Namestnichestvo (viceroyalty) system, which in turn replaced the regimental administration of the Ukrainian Hetmanate in 1781. This placed the Kiev Viceroyalty (excluding the city of Kiev itself), Novgorod-Seversky Viceroyalty and Chernigov Viceroyalty under the new unit. The administrative centre was the city of Chernigov (modern Chernihiv).

However the extensive area which the new unit covered was too great for effective administration, and in February 1802 the Governorate was split into Chernigov Governorate and Poltava Governorate.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.