World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kuon-ji

 

Kuon-ji

Minobu-san Kuon-ji
Interior of the hondo of Kuon-ji

Kuon-ji (久遠寺) is a major temple in Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan. Founded by Nichiren in 1281 it is today the head temple of Nichiren Shū. Locally it is referred to as the Minobu-san Temple, after the mountain upon which it is built.

After leaving Kamakura Nichiren was invited by the magistrate Nambu Sanenaga to stay on his property in 1274. Soon after his arrival Nichiren set up a hermitage that became a centre of learning to Nichiren's disciples and adherents. The original dwelling became too small and in 1281 Nichiren founded the temple nearby and named it Minobusan Kuon-ji. Following Nichiren's wishes his ashes were brought to the temple and are enshrined in a mausoleum on the temple grounds.

While the Ikegami Honmon-ji is also Nichiren Shū's administrative centre, Kuon-ji today plays an important role as a place of learning for the schools training of novices.

It is famous for its 287 steps of stone stairs known locally as "the steps of enlightenment", which are climbed by chanting pilgrims regularly each year. The golden dragon painted on the black ceiling of the main temple is a notable feature usually pointed out by monks at the temple as the dragon has five toes, making it a Japanese dragon.

The blossoming of thousands of cherry trees, including the hundred-year-old weeping cherry tree in the garden, also makes this temple a popular tourist destination.

Over 1.5 million people visit the temple annually. It is reached by bus or car and then climbing the 287 steps, or alternatively scaling the sloping road which curves around the back of the temple.

Behind the temple proper is a cable car which takes tourists and pilgrims up to the top of the mountain and further temple buildings.

See also

External links

  • Nichiren-shū Japan: Kuon-ji
  • Japan National Tourism Organization [1]

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.