Karasubazar

Bilohirsk
Білогірськ — Белогорск — Qarasuvbazar
City

Coat of arms
Bilohirsk
Bilohirsk
Location of Bilohirsk within the Crimea, Ukraine

Coordinates: 45°3′16″N 34°36′8″E / 45.05444°N 34.60222°E / 45.05444; 34.60222Coordinates: 45°3′16″N 34°36′8″E / 45.05444°N 34.60222°E / 45.05444; 34.60222

Country  Ukraine
Region Crimea
District Bilohirsk Raion
Area
 • Total 5.42 km2 (2.09 sq mi)
Elevation 180 m (590 ft)
Population (2012[1])
 • Total 18,199
 • Density 3,398.52/km2 (8,802.1/sq mi)
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)
Postal code 97600 — 97609
Area code(s) +380-6559
Website http://belogorsk.crimea.ua/

Bilohirsk (Ukrainian: Білогірськ; Russian: Белого́рск; Crimean Tatar: Qarasuvbazar; Armenian: Բելոգորսկ, Կարասու-Բազար; formerly Karasubazar) is a city in Crimea, located in southern Ukraine, situated 25 miles east-northeast of Simferopol on the Biyuk Karasu river. Both Russian and Ukrainian names mean "white mountains", and original Crimean Tatar name Qarasuvbazar means "bazaar on the Karasu river".

History


The site is low, but the town is surrounded by hills, which afford protection from the north wind. The town has a characteristic Crimean Tatar atmosphere. Placed on the high road between Simferopol and Kerch, and in the midst of a country rich in cereal land, vineyards and gardens, Karasubazar used to be a chief seat of commercial activity in Crimea; but it is gradually declining in importance, though still a considerable center for the export of fruit.

The caves of Akkaya close by give evidence of early occupation of the area. When in 1736 Khan Fetih Giray was driven by the Russian Empire from Bakhchisaray, he settled at Karasubazar, but next year the town was captured, plundered and burned by the Russian army.

Retreating NKVD shot a number of local people in the streets in 1941.[2]

References

  • Template:1911

External links

  • Template:Sister-inline


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.