World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Henry Young Darracott Scott

Article Id: WHEBN0028183935
Reproduction Date:

Title: Henry Young Darracott Scott  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, Cement, Royal School of Military Engineering, Victoria and Albert Museum, List of Fellows of the Royal Society S,T,U,V
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Henry Young Darracott Scott

Henry Young Darracott Scott RE (1822–1883) was an English Major-General in the Corps of Royal Engineers, best known for the construction of London's Royal Albert Hall.

Life

The fourth son of Edward Scott of Plymouth, Devon, and was born there on 2 January 1822. Educated privately and at the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, he obtained a commission as second lieutenant in the Royal Engineers on 18 December 1840. After going through the usual course of professional instruction at Chatham he was stationed at Woolwich and Plymouth in succession. Promoted to be first lieutenant on 19 December 1843, he went to Gibraltar in January 1844, where he was acting adjutant of his corps. While at Gibraltar he accompanied Arthur Penrhyn Stanley and his two sisters on a tour in Spain. In 1848 he returned to England, and was appointed assistant instructor in field works at the Royal Military Academy at Woolwich. He was promoted to be second captain on 11 November 1851, in which year he married. He was in the same year appointed senior instructor in field works at the Royal Military Academy.

On 1 April 1855 Scott was promoted to be first captain, and was appointed instructor in surveying at the Royal Engineer establishment at selenitic lime which goes by his name. His system of representing ground by horizontal hachures and a scale of shade was perfected at Chatham, and adopted for the army as the basis of military sketching. During his residence at Brompton, Kent, a drought occurred, and he assisted in establishing a waterworks in the Luton valley.

On 19 May 1863 Scott was promoted to be brevet major, and on 5 December of the same year to be regimental lieutenant-colonel. On 14 December 1865 he was seconded in his corps, and employed under the commission of the Great Exhibition of 1851 at South Kensington, in the place of Captain Francis Fowke. He gained the confidence of the commissioners, and on the retirement of Sir Henry Cole was appointed secretary to the commission.

The major work by which Scott is remembered was the construction of the Royal Albert Hall at Kensington, with the design and execution of which he was entrusted in 1866. The design of the roof was unique, and there were many predictions that it would fail. Scott, however, never hesitated. When the time arrived, in 1870, for removing the scaffolding which supported the roof, Scott sent every one out of the building, and himself knocked away the final support. The acoustics were a problem. At first there was a decided echo with wind instruments, but the introduction of a ‘velarium’ below the true roof cured the defect. On 20 May 1871 Scott was made a Companion of the Bath (civil division).

On 7 June 1871 Scott was promoted to be brevet colonel, and on 19 August of the same year he retired from the army as an honorary major-general, but continued in his civil appointment at South Kensington. On 3 February 1874 he became an associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers; on 3 June 1875 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society, and the same year a member of a select Russian scientific society, on which occasion the tsar presented him with a snuff-box set with diamonds.

Scott was for some years examiner in military topography under the military education department. He was awarded medals for service rendered to the Great Exhibition of London in 1862, the Prussian Exhibition of 1865, the Paris Universal Exhibition of 1867, the annual London International Exhibition of fine arts, industries, and inventions, the Dutch Exhibition of 1877, and the Paris International Exhibition of 1878. He received in 1880 a silver medal from the Society of Arts for a paper entitled ‘Suggestions for dealing with the Sewerage of London,’ and the Telford premium for a paper he contributed in the same year, in conjunction with G. R. Redgrave, to the Institution of Civil Engineers, on the ‘Manufacture and Testing of Portland Cement.’ He had prepared the plans for the completion of the South Kensington Museum, when, in 1882, the treasury, as an economy, abolished his appointment as secretary of the Great Exhibition commissioners. This abrupt termination helped to break down his health. He designed the buildings for the Fisheries Exhibition, but was too ill to attend the opening. He died at his residence, Silverdale, Sydenham, on 16 April 1883, and was buried at Highgate.

Works

Scott's life was devoted to public service, and he failed to secure for himself any benefit from his inventions. He contributed to the ‘Transactions of the Royal Institute of British Architects’ (1857 and 1872) and to the ‘Professional Papers of the Corps of Royal Engineers’ (new ser. vols. vi, vii, x, xi, xii, xvii, xx) papers chiefly dealing with his discovery of his new cement and the construction of the Albert Hall.

Family

Scott married, on 19 June 1851, at Woolwich, Ellen Selina, youngest daughter of Major-General Bowes of the East India Company's service. She survived him with fifteen children.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.