World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ghawari

Article Id: WHEBN0029250334
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ghawari  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Ghanche District, Yugo, Baltistan
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Ghawari

Ghawari (sometimes called Ghowari, Gowari, Oaree, Wali, and Gwali or Tibetan, Va-le) is derived from two Balti words gawa means "open" and ri means "village," so it is basically a big valley. It is a small agricultural town and oasis situated in Ghanche District, Baltistan, Pakistan. It is well known as a center of Islamic scholarship and learning. The left bank of the Shyok opposite Kuru is located. Today Ghawari and Kuru are connected by a bridge passable by car. Ghawari in the past belonged to the dominion of Kiris. Since Ghawari is located on the left side of the Shayok and neither Khaplu yet to Skardu had an easy walk-in access, it was fortunately on the right side of the Shyok along attracting hordes of periodic flare-Baltistan in wars of the 17th and 18th century largely spared.

Religion

The people of Ghawari are largely Muslim and belong to the Wahabisect of Islam. Jamia Daru Uloom Baltistan is also located in Ghawari.The Jamia Darul Uloom Baltistan Ghowari is First & Great Islamic University in Gilgit Baltistan.The Jamia provides shelter and food to poor people and needy students of Baltistan and has a network of Projects for the Welfare of People of Baltistan.This institution is considered as a headquarter for the supervision of Salafis of Baltistan.A number of students who have completed their education from this institution are serving throughout the country and at international level.

Ghowari Tauheedabad Farm House

One of the most noted feature of ghowari is due to its "Tauheedabad Farm House" located at Manjhar,Ghowari.A large number of fruits and especially cherry is exported to other cities of Pakistan from thgis farm house.

Live Stock

Another importent and well known development in the hub of Ghowari is due to itslivestock,where a number of cows are kept to produce quality milk.The milk is exported in different parts of Ghowari as well as Skardu city.

Population and culture

The most populated and big valley in Ghanche District in North Pakistan. Due to suitable climate and gate way of Siachen valley Ghowari is the most attraction and growing Valley in Khaplu Region. The population of this valley is approximatively 5000 houses. There only one Government high school or education. Most of the student are gaining education from other cities of Pakistan due to less facility of institutional situation in this area. Gowari was first called to the Oaree in 1842 by John Walter after the details of Godfrey Thomas Vigne on behalf of the East India Company created map "Kashmir; With its passport; Ladak and Little Tibet, the Mountain Course of the Indus, and the Alpine Pajab generally "below. Map of Francke (1926) the site is listed as a Wali. In 1951, the population was 1621 persons. In 1961 1691 people were counted (Afridi (Ghawari), p 278). Today that number is expected to be considerably larger approximatey 12000. In historical sources is Gowari only a mention in connection with events from 1811. Ladakhi troops advanced as far as Kuru Kuru and arranged and Gowari (Va-le) in its domain.

The new main road connecting the western and eastern Baltistan runs along the left side of the river by Shayok Gowari, which led to the establishment of numerous businesses along the new link road. The old center is a few hundred meters from the new road and away from road traffic between Skardu and Khaplu untouched. Here is also an old -Khanqa prayer hall, which is immediately adjacent to the old town square.

References

  • Banat Gul Afridi: Baltistan in History. Peshawar 1988th

External links

  • [1]

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.