World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Gethsemane Chapel

Gethsemane Chapel
Գեթսեմանի Մատուռ
Gethsemane Chapel in 1901
Gethsemane Chapel is located in Armenia
Gethsemane Chapel
Shown within Armenia
Basic information
Location Yerevan Opera Theater place, Kentron District
Yerevan, Armenia
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Armenian Apostolic Church
Status Destroyed in the 1920s
Architectural description
Architectural type single-nave basilica with no dome
Architectural style Armenian
Completed 1690s
Specifications

Gethsemane Chapel (Armenian: Գեթսեմանի Մատուռ, Get'semani Matur) was a small Armenian Apostolic church in the historic Shahar district of Yerevan, Armenia, that was destroyed during the 1920s to make way for the construction of the Yerevan Opera Theater on what is known today as the Tumanyan street.[1]

The Gethsemane chapel was built by the end of the 17th century, replacing a 13th-century domed basilica ruined during the 1679 earthquake. However, the chapel of Gethsemane had a shape of single-nave basilica with no dome. It was surrounded with the old Yerevan cemetery.

It was entirely renovated in 1901 through the donation of the wealthy Yerevanian Melik-Aghamalyan family. The chapel was eventually destroyed during the 1920s.

See also

References

  1. ^ Gethsemane Chapel


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.