World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Escola Nacional de Belas Artes

 

Escola Nacional de Belas Artes

Escola de Belas Artes (School of Fine Arts) is one of the centers of the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro and dates back to colonial times.

A royal letter of Nov 20 1800 by John VI of Portugal established the Aula Prática de Desenho e Figura in Rio de Janeiro. It was the first institution in Brazil systematically dedicated to teaching the arts. During colonial times, the arts were mainly of religious or utilitarian nature and were learnt in a system of apprenticeship.

The Decree of Aug 12, 1816 created the Escola Real de Ciências, Artes e Ofícios (Royal School of Sciences, Arts and Crafts), which established an official education in the fine arts. Then it was renamed as the Academia Imperial de Belas Artes (Imperial Academy of the Fine Arts), instituting a system of artistic education that would greatly influence the development of Brazilian art.

On Nov 8 1890, the old Imperial Academy was transformed into the Escola Nacional de Belas Artes (National School of Fine Arts). In 1931, the School joined the University of Rio de Janeiro, the current Federal University of Rio de Janeiro.

Notable Students

External links

  • Escola de Belas Artes (School of Fine Arts of Federal University of Rio de Janeiro)
  • Federal University of Rio de Janeiro Official website

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.