World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Circuit Judges Act

Article Id: WHEBN0002777130
Reproduction Date:

Title: Circuit Judges Act  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: James Moore Wayne
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Circuit Judges Act

The Judiciary Act of 1869 (16 federal judiciary.

First, judgeships were created for the circuit courts; in this case, one circuit judgeship was created for each of the nine circuits. Up until this time, circuit courts were normally only staffed by district judges and Supreme Court justices "riding circuit." This was actually the third time that Congress had created circuit judgeships, but the first time was the soon-repealed Judiciary Act of 1801, and the second was a single circuit judgeship in the frontier state of California which only lasted from 1855 to 1863. This law did not abolish circuit riding, but significantly reduced its burden by requiring each justice to attend circuit court in each district within his circuit only once every two years. Circuit riding would later be abolished by the Judiciary Act of 1891, and the circuit courts themselves by the Judicial Code of 1911.

Second, for the first time, federal judges (including Supreme Court justices) were given the option to retire with a pension. The pension was set at the salary of the judge at the time of retirement, and a judge had to be at least seventy years old and have ten years of service on the federal bench before being allowed to retire.

This Act also set the Supreme Court at its current size of nine justices. The Judicial Circuits Act of 1866 had reduced the Court from ten to seven justices, although the reduction was to occur only as seats became vacant. As only two seats were vacated between 1866 and 1869, the Court had eight justices at the time of this Act, so one new seat was created.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.