World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Cavillon

Article Id: WHEBN0015534235
Reproduction Date:

Title: Cavillon  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Somme department, Arrondissement of Amiens
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Cavillon

Cavillon
Cavillon
Cavillon

Coordinates: 49°55′23″N 2°05′05″E / 49.9231°N 2.0847°E / 49.9231; 2.0847Coordinates: 49°55′23″N 2°05′05″E / 49.9231°N 2.0847°E / 49.9231; 2.0847

Country France
Region Picardy
Department Somme
Arrondissement Amiens
Canton Picquigny
Intercommunality L'Ouest d'Amiens
Government
 • Mayor (2001–2008) Louis Leroy
Area
 • Land1 5.46 km2 (2.11 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 112
 • Population2 density 21/km2 (53/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 80180 / 80310
Elevation 40–126 m (131–413 ft)
(avg. 120 m or 390 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Cavillon is a commune in the Somme department in Picardie in northern France.

Geography

Cavillon is a small village surrounded by fields and woods, situated on the D121, D156 and D95 crossroads, about15 miles (24 km) northwest of Amiens. Predominantly a farming area raising dairy cows, pigs and free-range chickens. A project to create a large pig-rearing facility is currently undergoing discussion and planning approval, much to the disgruntlement of the local population.

Population

Historical population of Cavillon
Year 1962196819751982199019992006
Population 9411111711611294112
From the year 1962 on: population without double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.

History

Cavillon has existed since Gallo-Roman times. During ploughing, archaeologists regularly find artifacts in the ground between the town and the place known as "The Brickyard", where a Roman villa once stood. Found under the written form "Cavellon" as early as 1166, this town was mentioned again as "Caveillon" in 1301 and appeared under its current name of "Cavillon" in 1567.

Places of note

  • The church of St. Nicolas, is in stone with a low steeple covered with slates. On the apse, one can read the date of 1781, but the nave is from the end of the 16th century.
  • The château, near the church, in a beautiful woodland park, was built of bricks and stone in 1648. Two lower wings were added in 1698 and 1830. In the 1950s, it was the property of the Abbaye du Gard (on the left bank of the river Somme, downstream of Picquigny).
  • The old school and mayor’s office was built in 1868. The school closed in 1960. In 1996, the building was restored and laid out as a meeting room and commune secretary’s office.
  • On the other side of the D95, that crosses the town, is the 'old cemetery', surrounded by a brick wall, where rest the remains of five soldiers of the British Commonwealth.
  • Chapelle Notre-Dame des Victoires, on the road leading to Oissy.

Leisure, cultural and tourist activities

  • The town centre has a newly laid out square with flowering plants, benches and a pétanque piste. The biggest of Cavillon’s three ponds is shaded by trees and the nests of moorhens and ducks can be seen on its flowery banks.
  • The attractiveness of the town of Cavillon, well maintained despite the municipal worker having to divide his time with neighbouring towns, is also attributed to the residents, encouraged by the wife of the current mayor, to grow flowers in their own gardens.
  • Several walking routes pass through the commune of Cavillon, with directional panels provided by the C.C.O.A.

See also

References

  • INSEE

External links

  • Cavillon on the Quid site (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.