World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Baptist Church of Mizoram

The Baptist Church of Mizoram, abbreviated BCM is a Protestant denomination of India and the second biggest church in Mizoram state in northeast India.

The church was founded by Baptist English missionaries Rev. JH Lorrain (Pu Buanga) and FW Savidge (Sap Upa) in 1894. It has its headquarters at Serkawn, which is a missionary station and town close to Lunglei city, the second biggest city in Mizoram, a minor part of India bordering Myanmar.

Today BCM has 160,344 members in 606 local churches (BCM Statistics 2013-2014).It is the second biggest church in Mizoram after the Presbyterian Church of Mizoram, which was founded in 1897 by an English Presbyterian missionary Rev. D.E. Jones.

Rev. R.A. Lorrain, younger brother of Rev. J.H. Lorrain and founder of the Evangelical Church of Maraland (est. 1907), was the first pioneering missionary to the Mara people in the southernmost part of Mizoram state, completing the task of evangelizing the people of the whole state - Presbyterians in the north, Baptists in the middle and Evangelicals in the south.

Contents

  • Education 1
  • Mission (Beginning) 2
  • A Concise Account of Mission Department 3
    • Missionary Personnel 3.1
    • Mission Fields and Stations 3.2
    • Mission Fund 3.3
    • Churches 3.4
    • Believers 3.5
    • Schools and Students 3.6
  • Affiliates/Association 4
  • See also 5
  • External links 6

Education

The Baptist Church of Mizoram operates the following:

Mission (Beginning)

The year 1968 had remarkable significance for the Baptist Church of Mizoram. In that year, the Baptist Missionary Society (BMS), after working for almost 65 years, decided to withdraw their mission work in south of Mizoram due to the Indian Government’s rejection of their permission to stay longer in Mizoram. In the same year that the BMS decided to withdraw their mission work, the ZBM also sent Rev C.Rokhama as the first cross-culture missionary outside Mizoram. Moreover, on 18 January 1968, Rev C.L.Hminga was appointed as the first full-time ZBM Secretary, and the ZBM had also organized its own office in a separate building. From this time onward, until the Assembly of BCM decided to form a new structure, all the office works of the ZBM was conducted from this office.

A Concise Account of Mission Department

A concise account of the BCM Mission works, as it stands for 46 years (1966 – 2012) from the inception of the BCM Mission Department as the Zoram Baptist Mission, can be made as follows:

Missionary Personnel

ZBM started cross-culture missionary work, employing only two full-time missionaries in 1939. Now, (in 2012) BCM Mission Committee has more than 800 mission workers including missionaries.

Mission Fields and Stations

BCM Mission Committee has 23 mission fields including mission stations in different parts of India and works in partnership with other mission agencies outside India.

Mission Fund

The ZBM (as its previous name) had only Rs. 12.50p (Rupees twelve and fifty paisa) in its initial stage. Now the BCM Mission budget of 2012 - 2013 has grown to Rs.11, 79, 78,000.00(Rupees eleven crore seventy-nine lakhs and seventy-eight thousand).

Churches

BCM Mission Committee has established more than 1436 local churches and 25 preaching stations among different tribes and people groups.

Believers

BCM Mission Committee has roughly 1,81,768 believers in different mission fields and mission stations.

Schools and Students

At present Mission Committee runs 54 mission schools within and outside Mizoram, of which 10 are High Schools, 5 Middle Schools, 39 Primary Schools and having around 6500 students.

Affiliates/Association

BCM is a member of the Baptist World Alliance, the Baptist Union of Great Britain, and an active member of the BMS World Mission.

See also

External links

  • http://www.mizobaptist.org/ official site of the Mizoram Baptist Church
  • http://www.mtkp.org/ official site of the Mizoram Baptist Youth Fellowship
  • A brief history of Pioneered Churches in Mizoram
  • Baptist World Alliance Member bodies
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.