World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Al-Shadbakhtiyah Madrasa

Article Id: WHEBN0021728855
Reproduction Date:

Title: Al-Shadbakhtiyah Madrasa  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject:
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Al-Shadbakhtiyah Madrasa

Al-Shadbakhtiyah Madrasa
المدرسة الشاذبختية
Location
Aleppo, Syria
Information
Type Madrassah
Established 1193
Campus Urban
Affiliation Islamic

Al-Shadbakhtiyah Madrasa (Arabic: المدرسة الشاذبختية‎) is a madrasah complex in Aleppo, Syria. It is one of the earliest preserved Ayyubid madrasas. It was built by Jamal al-Din Shadbakht, a freed slave of Zengid ruler Nur al-Din in 1193 AD. The madrasa is situated about 200 metres (660 ft) west of the citadel. Its plan is organized around a central rectangular courtyard that is wrapped by a tripartite prayer hall on the south side, a large iwan on the north side and multiple cells on the east side. The west wing has disappeared due to a 19th century extension of a vaulted bazaar that wraps around the building itself from three sides. Other than this developed asymmetry, the madrasa's plan is a traditional one that is repeated in both al-Kamiliya madrasa and al-Firdaws madrasa. The shrine of Sheikh Maruf, after whom the building was renamed, is located in the second tripartite prayer hall on the northeastern corner of the madrasa.[1]

See also

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.