World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Osijek tram system

Article Id: WHEBN0024349941
Reproduction Date:

Title: Osijek tram system  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of tram and light rail transit systems, Metre gauge, Tatra T3
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Osijek tram system

Osijek tram
Background
Locale Croatia Osijek, Croatia
Transit type Tram
Number of lines 2
Operation
Began operation 1884 (horse tram)
1926 (electric tram)
Operator(s) Gradski prijevoz putnika Osijek
Technical
System length 12 km
Track gauge
System map

The Osijek tram system is operated by the City Transport of Osijek (GPP Osijek) and serves the city of Osijek, capital of the Slavonia region of Croatia.

The Osijek network is the only Croatian tram system still in existence outside Zagreb. Services have operated continuously since the first horse-car tram line was opened in 1884 (connecting the railway station and city square), and the first electric tram ran in 1926.

The present network consists of two lines which intersect in the city square (Trg Ante Starčević) and the fleet consists of refurbished Tatra T4 vehicles and some newly acquired second hand DUEWAG GT6.

There is also a touristic heritage tram, which can be rented for special occasions.

All tracks are at 1000mm (metre gauge) width. There are three terminal loops, and two loops used rarely only when shorter route service is provided. There is also an inner city loop for the part of line 2, which connects the main railway station with the city centre. Unlike line 1, which is double track in its whole length, line 2 is composed of a loop segment, a double track segment and the remainder being single track with passing loops. At the main vehicle depot (Remiza) there is a track triangle structure used regularly for turning tramway vehicles when starting and/or ending service.

External links

  • Unofficial system map

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.