World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Oldbawn

Article Id: WHEBN0018540011
Reproduction Date:

Title: Oldbawn  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: County Dublin, David O'Connor (footballer)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Oldbawn

Oldbawn (or Old Bawn, Irish: An Seanbhábhún) is a small suburban area now within Tallaght on Dublin's Southside. Formerly a small village in its own right, it is situated near the River Dodder.

History

Old Bawn was the site of an estate for several centuries, and later of a small village, whose population reached over 380 in the mid-19th century.

Old Bawn House

Old Bawn House was built in 1635 by Archdeacon William Bulkeley, son of Launcelot Bulkeley the Archbishop.[1] It was situated where the St. Maelruan schools now stand.

It was almost unique in architectural style, being one of the first Irish houses that was not built purely for defence. Oldbawn had extensive pleasure gardens that survived, albeit in a neglected state, until 1900. "From a rude, desolate, and wild land he brought it to a most delightful patrimony" Handcock quoted Blacker as saying of Bulkeley's house.

Old Bawn House was damaged in the rebellion of 1641 but was restored immediately at a cost of £3,000. The house was designed in an H shape with high pointed gables, and had many windows and twelve chimneys which was unusual at that time. It had many internal features such as the chimney piece and a carved oak staircase both of which are in the National Museum. The chimney piece reached to the ceiling and depicted the building of the walls of Jerusalem, dating back to 1635. There was also an unusual lodge house built to the front of the house.

The house passed to Lady Tynt who leased it. In 1830, Old Bawn was bought by the McDonnell family who established a paper mill behind the house. This was one of many mills along the Dodder in the nineteenth century. The house fell into disrepair during the early 1900s and was used as a storehouse when the lands were being developed in the 1960s, and eventually Old Bawn house gave way to the new developments in the area.

References and footnotes

Coordinates: 53°17′N 6°22′W / 53.283°N 6.367°W / 53.283; -6.367


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.