World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Monkland Village

Article Id: WHEBN0017660809
Reproduction Date:

Title: Monkland Village  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, Autoroutes of Quebec, Villa-Maria (Montreal Metro)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Monkland Village

Monkland Avenue redirects here

Monkland Village is a neighbourhood of the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce district in the Montreal borough of Côte-des-Neiges–Notre-Dame-de-Grâce. It is located along Monkland Avenue between Grand Boulevard and the Décarie Expressway/Décarie Boulevard. Both the neighbourhood and the avenue are named after James Monk, who was the attorney general of Lower Canada, and chief justice to the court of the Queen's Bench from 1804 to 1824. This area in particular became associated with Monk due to the estate he built in 1804 known as Monklands. This estate would later become the Governor General's residence, and was later on sold to the Congregation de Notre-Dame who would use the building for the Villa Maria private Catholic girls school.[1]

Monkland Avenue has been a commercial artery since the 1930s seeing various highs and lows. Today the strip shows evidence of yuppification and is home to many small businesses including restaurants, cafés, bars, and unique boutiques. The Villa Maria metro station is located at the eastern end of Monkland Avenue.

References

Coordinates: 45°28′30″N 73°37′24″W / 45.4751°N 73.6233°W / 45.4751; -73.6233


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.