World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Malankara Metropolitan

Article Id: WHEBN0001821105
Reproduction Date:

Title: Malankara Metropolitan  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Mar Dionysius III, Mar Dionysius II, Mar Dionysius I, Saint Thomas Christian churches, Pulikkottil Joseph Mar Dionysious II
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Malankara Metropolitan

Malankara Metropolitan was a legal title given to the head of the St Thomas Church of Malabar by the Governments of Travancore and Cochin in South India. This title was awarded by a proclamation from the government of Travancore.

History

In 1816 Pulikottil Joseph Mar Dionysius became a bishop and he got an approval letter known as the Royal Proclamation from the Travancore government to function as the Metropolitan of the community. Now on wards the head of the Church came to be known as Malankara Metropolitan. The position of the Malanakara Metropolitan in the 19th century is a growth from the position of the Marthoma Metrans. The power and authority of the Malanakara Metropolitan got more recognition than the power and authority of the Archdeacons and Marthoma Metrans because of some political changes in the country through the establishment of British rule.

From 1816, DionysiusII, DionysiusIII, DionysiusIV,Mathews Mar Athanasios, Thomas Mar Athanasios and DionysiusV were the Malanakara Metropolitans in the 19th century. Among these Mathews Mar Athanasios of Palakkunnathu exercised enormous spiritual as well as temporal powers inside and outside the community. Mar Dionysius V was the Malankara Metropolitan at the time of the Synod of Mulanthuruthy (1876). During the later half of the 19th century there occurred a split in the community because of the works of the CMS missionaries and the reformation supported by them. This invited a closer interference of the Patriarch of Antioch.Mar Dionysius V sided with Patriarch of Antioch against Mathews Mar Athanasios of Palakkunnathu.The ancient and apostolic St Thomas church of Malankara formally came under Patriarch of Antioch at the time of the Synod of Mulanthuruthy (1876)

To get over the difficulties caused by the reformation and to support Mar Dionysius V against the reformers the Church invited the Patriarch to come over to India. The Patriarch Peter III of Antioch came here in 1875. Instead of healing the division in the community the Patriarch tried to make use of the situation to establish his authority in the church by suppressing the authority of the Malanakra Metropolitan. He strongly stood with Mar Dionysius and called the Synod of Mulanthuruthy.

The Patriarch presided over the synod and directed its proceedings and took some decisions justifying the actions of the Patriarch in the Malankara Church. After the Synod he divided the church into seven dioceses and consecrated six new bishops to rule each diocese. By these actions the Patriarch was trying to reduce the authorities of the Malankara Metropolitan.

See also

External links

  • Ordinations, Demises etc. of Malankara Church leaders at Niranam Valiyapally
  • Official Malankara Orthodox Web Radio
  • Official Malankara Orthodox Web TV
  • MOSC Online News Media
  • Malankara Orthodox/Baselius College Radio
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.