Maison du Chamarier

Maison du Chamarier
General information
Architectural style Renaissance
Location 5th arrondissement of Lyon, Lyon, France

45°45′42″N 4°49′38″E / 45.76167°N 4.82722°E / 45.76167; 4.82722

Completed 1498

The Maison du Chamarier, also known as Hôtel d'Estaing, is a house at 37 rue Saint-Jean in the 5th arrondissement of Lyon, at the corner of Rue de la Bombarde. It was built in 1498 but the ancient ruins are from the thirteenth century. From Latin cameriarus, the word "Chamarier" means the superintendent of the finances of the bishop of the Lyon Cathedral. He also has the keys to the gates of the enclosure canonical. From the fifteenth century, he gathered the taxes collected during the fairs.

History and architecture

In the thirteenth century, the first house was built inside the cloister of St. John, just on the wall built during the episcopate of Guichard de Pontigny between 1165 and 1180. Redesigned in the fourteenth - fifteenth centuries, this building was rebuilt in the sixteenth century by François d'Estaing.[1] The wells in the yard is attributed to Philibert de L'Orme. The Marquise de Sévigné lived here when she was in Lyon.[2]

In the nineteenth century, the house was converted into apartments. As all of Saint Jean quarter, it starts to deteriorate gradually. On 15 September 1943, the building was classified monument historique.[3] It has subsequently been renovated under the leadership of the association "Renaissance du Vieux Lyon" and after the deicsion of Denis Trouxe, then deputy mayor under the tenure of Mayor Raymond Barre.

It was the first Renaissance styled home of the quarter. The Gothic styled spiral staircase has a large size and ornamentation. The entrance to the tower where the stairway is part, is surmounted by a canopy adorned with a pinnacle turrets similar to those entries of Gothic churches.[4]


This article incorporates information from the revision as of 2010-03-20 of the equivalent article on the français World Heritage Encyclopedia.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.