World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Long, Somme

Article Id: WHEBN0016001057
Reproduction Date:

Title: Long, Somme  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Somme department, Arrondissement of Abbeville
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Long, Somme


Coordinates: 50°02′24″N 1°58′55″E / 50.04°N 1.9819°E / 50.04; 1.9819Coordinates: 50°02′24″N 1°58′55″E / 50.04°N 1.9819°E / 50.04; 1.9819

Country France
Region Picardy
Department Somme
Arrondissement Abbeville
Canton Crécy-en-Ponthieu
Intercommunality Haut Clocher
 • Mayor (1989–2008) Gabriel Bernard
 • Land1 9.19 km2 (3.55 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 666
 • Population2 density 72/km2 (190/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 80486 / 80510
Elevation 6–111 m (20–364 ft)
(avg. 104 m or 341 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Long is a commune in the Somme department in Picardie in northern France.


Long is situated on the D32 and the D112 crossroads, some 10 miles (16 km) southeast of Abbeville in a part of the valley of the Somme that is filled by lakes and ponds.


Population history
1962 1968 1975 1982 1990 1999 2006
640 648 606 574 575 624 666
Starting in 1962: Population without duplicates

Places of interest

Church of St. Jean-Baptiste

The first church was built here in the 12th century and must have been quite small compared to the present-day building. Another church replaced the original in the 15th century. During the 19th century, as the population of the town had grown to 1800 people, another church had to be built, though the bell-tower of the original was incorporated within the new building, which was completed in 1851.

The hydro-electric plant

In 1900, the municipal council decided to build an electricity generating plant, powered by the waters of the Somme. Inaugurated three years later on the 7th June 1903, the three turbines provided electricity at 120 volts DC for the entire village, at little charge. It also provided running water to every home too.
By 1968, the world had caught up and overtaken the generators at Long. A 220volt supply from the national grid ( and, for the first time, electricity bills ) arrived in the commune. The plant continued to pump water until 1974. The building now houses a museum.

The Château at Long

The 18th-century château, in pink brick and white stone, with a mansard roof, was built on the site of an earlier medieval castle.
During the Second World War, the building was badly damaged by occupying troops, who burnt doors, windows and flooring.
Lovingly restored during the 1960s, the building is now open to the public.

See also



External links

  • Long on the Quid website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.