World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Sucuraj

Article Id: WHEBN0002147257
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sucuraj  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Trpanj
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Sucuraj

Sućuraj
Location of Sućuraj in Croatia

Sućuraj (known as San Giorgio in Italian) is a picturesque small town on the east cape of the island Hvar in Croatia, 3 NM (5 km) from the Dalmatian coast and 77 km from the town of Hvar.

Sućuraj has about 400 residents, with tourism and fishing being the primary economic activities. The town is the official centre of the eastern part of the island of Hvar.

The island of Hvar is famous for its pleasant Mediterranean climate, including a high percentage of sunny days. Sućuraj is one of the sunniest and hottest places on the island, with more than 2700 hours of sunshine per year. Around the centre of the town, there are two beaches, Cesminica and Bilina.

In the town, tourists can stay in private apartments, pensions, houses, rooms, hotel or car-camp.

Sućuraj can be reached by ferryboat from Drvenik on the Makarska riviera, a trip of about 25 minutes. In the winter, there are 3-4 departures a day, and in summer there are 10-15 per day. The Ferry dock is near the centre of the town. Drvenik is situated on the Adriatic road 96 km southeast of Split and 128 km northwest of Dubrovnik.

History of Sućuraj

Sućuraj has existed for more than 2300 years, although it has been destroyed and rebuilt several times. The first known inhabitants of Sućuraj were the Illyrians; their Queen Teuta had a home here in 3rd century BC. In the 7th and 8th century the Croats who lived here till today colonized Sućuraj. Sućuraj has fallen under a myriad of flags in its history, including the Illyrians, Romans, Croats, Venetians, French, Austrians, and Italians. In the 20th century alone, Sućuraj was a part of six different countries.

The oldest building in Sućuraj is the Augustan (today Franciscan) monastery. Its original construction date is not known, but it was first rebuilt in 1309 and most recently in 1994. Sućuraj got its name from the Church of St. George, which is mentioned in the Statute of Hvar from 1331. That church was destroyed at the end of the 19th century, and a new one was built. Most of the inhabitants of Sućuraj came from the coast in the 15th century, fleeing from the Turks. From that time till today the church of St. Anthony (built in 1663) has also survived. An old Venetian fortress (fortica) built in 1613 also still stands, although not in its original condition.

Template:Hvar Template:Split-Dalmatia

Coordinates: 43°22′N 17°12′E / 43.367°N 17.200°E / 43.367; 17.200

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.