World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Preston, Tyne and Wear

Article Id: WHEBN0005133597
Reproduction Date:

Title: Preston, Tyne and Wear  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: John Spence Community High School, North Shields, Presto (UK supermarket), Preston, Villages in Tyne and Wear
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Preston, Tyne and Wear

Preston is located in Tyne and Wear
 Preston shown within Tyne and Wear
Population 8,419 (2011.Ward)
OS grid reference
Metropolitan borough North Tyneside
Metropolitan county Tyne and Wear
Region North East
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Postcode district NE29, NE30
Dialling code 0191
Police Northumbria
Fire Tyne and Wear
Ambulance North East
EU Parliament North East England
UK Parliament North Tyneside
List of places
Tyne and Wear

Preston is a village and suburb about a mile north of North Shields, North Tyneside, It has a population of about 7,000, measured at 8419, at the 2011 census.[1] Historically a separate entity, it has slowly been absorbed into the town to the south and expanded as to form a continuous urban area north to Monkseaton.


  • History of Preston and 'Preston Township' 1
  • Leisure 2
  • Education 3
  • Services 4
  • Public Houses 5
  • References 6

History of Preston and 'Preston Township'

It derives its name from the old English "Preosta", meaning Priest and "Tun", meaning enclosure or homestead. It is first mentioned in a charter dated between 1106 and 1116 and is recorded in the St. Alban's Register. At about this time the lands of Preston were granted by King Henry I to the monks of St. Oswin at Tynemouth. At the time of the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539, the lands were returned to the Crown. In 1649, the Township was enclosed and 265 acres (1.07 km2) of land were divided and granted to various copyhold tenants. In 1832 Preston Township, together with Tynemouth, North Shields and Cullercoats was constituted a Parliamentary Borough and by an order granted on August 6, 1849, the four were incorporated into Tynemouth Borough for municipal purposes.

Preston Township lay between North Shields to the south and Monkseaton to the north. To the east Tynemouth and to the west, Chirton. In addition, when the Shire Moor was enclosed in 1788, approximately 94 acres (380,000 m2) of land were annexed to Preston Township. This annex was originally known as Northumberland Place but is nowadays known as West Allotment.

The main industries in the area were coalmining from the 12th to the 20th centuries, the tanneries of the 13th century, the breweries of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, the damask factory of the 19th century and the carriage works of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Within the township is Preston Village, described by Parson and White in their descriptive book on Durham and Northumberland of 1828 as: " a very pleasant village 1-mile (1.6 km) north of North Shields to which its Township extends. It occupies a fine eminence which commands an extensive and beautiful prospect. Here are several gentlemen's villas, two public gardens, two common breweries, four public houses and a linen manufactory: besides about 100 houses and cottages which have a neat and clean appearance."

William Harold Smurthwaite published a detailed history of Preston in 1992 entitled "Our Heritage - Preston Township and Preston Village". It was illustrated by Kevin Bradley, who had previously produced a book about the Township, entitled "An Illustrated Guide To Preston Township" This book including original illustrations is currently being published by Kevin Bradley and George Smith, it is available at


Tynemouth Pool is situated within the Village, as are Preston Playing Fields, and the sporting facilities of John Spence School. Foxhunters Field, a large open area of parkland and playing fields is to be found to the north, The area is also home to many local sporting clubs; North Shields RFC which has its clubhouse on Preston playing fields, Percy Park RFC, on Preston Avenue, Tynemouth Cricket Club, nearby Tynemouth Golf Club, North Shields FC also used to be based at Appleby Park before moving to their current Silkeys Lane site.


The area has two primary schools, Preston Grange Primary School, on the Preston Grange estate, and King Edward Primary School on Preston Avenue. Secondary education is provided by John Spence Community High School, formerly Preston High School, and further education by Queen Alexandra Sixth Form College.


The area contains many or the services for North Shields, North Tyneside East Fire Station, Preston Cemetery, North Tyneside General Hospital, which replaced Preston Hospital in the late 1980s, and a large Morrisons Supermarket.

St Hildas CofE Church is to be found on Preston Road, St Marys Catoholic Church is in nearby Marden and a meetinghouse for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is to be found on Malvern Road.

Public Houses

The area has six Pubs; The Gunner, The Alexandra, The Sportsman, The Spread Eagle, The Foxhunters and The Magic Lantern.


  1. ^ "North Tyneside Ward population 2011". Retrieved 3 July 2015. 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.