World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bergara

Article Id: WHEBN0002876231
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bergara  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Gipuzkoa, Municipalities in Gipuzkoa, Tirso de Olazábal y Lardizábal, Autopista AP-8, San Sebastián
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bergara

Bergara
Municipality
Bergara main square
Bergara main square
Bergara is located in Basque Country
Bergara
Bergara
Location of Bergara within the Basque Country
Bergara is located in Spain
Bergara
Bergara
Location of Bergara within Spain
Coordinates:
Country Spain
Autonomous community Basque Country
Province Gipuzkoa
Comarca Debagoiena
Founded 1268 (1268)
Government
 • Mayor Juan Jesús Alberdi Landa (PNV)
Area
 • Total 75.97 km2 (29.33 sq mi)
Population (2014)
 • Total 14,831
 • Density 200/km2 (510/sq mi)
Demonym(s) Spanish: vergarés, vergaresa
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 20570
20578–20580
Official language(s) Basque
Spanish
Website Official website
View of historic quarter of Bergara
Center of Bergara

Bergara (Spanish pronunciation: ; Spanish: Vergara) is a town located in the province of Gipuzkoa, in the autonomous community of Basque Country, in the north of Spain.

An Enlightened center of education operated by the Real Sociedad Bascongada de Amigos del País ("Royal Basque Society of Friends of the Country"), it was the place where Faustino Elhuyar discovered wolfram.

During the Carlist Wars, it operated as the capital and royal court of the Carlists. It was there where the agreement symbolized in the Vergara Embrace between Rafael Maroto and Baldomero Espartero, Prince of Vergara ended one of the period wars.

External links

  • Official Website (Spanish) (Basque)
  • Bernardo Estornés Lasa - Auñamendi Encyclopedia (Euskomedia Fundazioa) (Spanish) (Basque)


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.