World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Avan District

Article Id: WHEBN0016458912
Reproduction Date:

Title: Avan District  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Yerevan, Katoghike Tsiranavor Church of Avan, Yerevan Football Academy Stadium, Districts of Yerevan, Kanaker-Zeytun District
Collection: Districts of Yerevan, Populated Places in Yerevan
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Avan District

Avan
Ավան
Panoramic view of Avan District from the Yerevan Football Academy
Panoramic view of Avan District from the Yerevan Football Academy
Avan district shown in red
Avan district shown in red
Coordinates:
Country Armenia
Marz (Province) Yerevan
Government
 • Mayor of District Manvel Javadian
Area
 • Total 8 km2 (3 sq mi)
Elevation 1,275 m (4,183 ft)
Population (2011 est.)
 • Total 51,000
 • Density 6,400/km2 (17,000/sq mi)
Time zone   (UTC+4)

Avan (Armenian: Ավան), is one of the 12 districts of Yerevan, the capital of Armenia. With an estimated population of 51,000, Avan forms the northern gate of Yerevan. Originally, an ancient village on a hill at the northeastern outskirts of Yerevan, Avan was inhabited since pre-Christian times. In the 20th century, during the Soviet rule, the village was incorporated to become part of the capital Yerevan. According the 2011 official estimate, Avan has a population of 51,000.

Avan is home to the oldest preserved church in Yerevan; the Katoghike Tsiranavor Church dating back to the late 6th century. It was built by the pro-Byzantine unrecognized Armenian Catholicos John of Bagavan to become his seat. The large cemetery contains many khachkars from the 13th to 18th centuries. Adjacent to it across the street is a stepped plinth and broken funerary pillar monument of the 5th or 6th century. A worn inscription may be found along the landings of the second and third steps.

Contents

  • Location 1
  • History 2
  • Streets and landmarks 3
    • Main streets 3.1
    • Historic Landmarks 3.2
    • Recreation 3.3
  • Gallery 4
  • References 5

Location

Avan is located on the hills north of the Nor Nork district and east of Kanaker. Avan has common borders with the districts of Arabkir and Kanaker-Zeytun from the east and the district of Nor Nork from the south. It is bordered by the Kotayk Province from the north and west.[1] The district has an altitude ranging between 1250 and 1300 meters, which is almost 250 meters higher than the centre of Yerevan.

The district is unofficially divided into smaller neighborhoods such as Avan blocks, Avan-Arinj and Aghi Hank.

Due to its location at a higher area, Avan is known among the districts of Yerevan for its clean atmosphere.

History

After the 2nd Synod of Yerevan earthquake of 1679.

After the Sovietization of Armenia, the city of Yerevan was entirely remodeled by architect Alexander Tamanian. By the mid-1960s, within the original plan of Tamanian, new cheaper Soviet apartment blocks with more than five stories were constructed at the outskirts of Yerevan, including the districts of Avan and Nor Nork. As a result of the expansion of the capital city, Avan was eventually absorbed by Yerevan.

Streets and landmarks

Main streets

  • Hrachya Acharyan Street
  • Never Safaryan Street
  • Marshal Sergei Khudyakov Street
  • Marshal Babajanian Street
  • Yevgeny Vakhtangov Street
  • Dushanbe Street
  • Almaty Street

Historic Landmarks

The remains of the Holy Mother of God Chapel of Avan, 4th century

Recreation

Yerevan Botanical Garden

Gallery

References

  1. ^ Avan at Yerevan.am
  2. ^ Chapels of Avan
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.