World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Roystead railway station

Article Id: WHEBN0009436919
Reproduction Date:

Title: Roystead railway station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject:
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Roystead railway station

Roystead
Line(s) Outer Circle
Platforms 1
Tracks 1
History
Opened 14 May 1900
Closed 9 October 1927

Roystead Railway Station was a railway station on the Outer Circle railway line, in the suburb of Canterbury, in Melbourne, Australia. It was opened on 14 May 1900, as "Stanley", to serve passengers on the so-called Deepdene Dasher shuttle service. This section of the line was in a cutting, and the station, with a single platform on the west side, was located south of a bridge, with red brick abutments and a green-painted iron superstructure, which took Mont Albert Road over the railway.

Originally named after the adjacent Stanley Grove, the name was altered to "Balwyn" in 1902, and finally to Roystead in September 1923, after the white, Victorian style house nearby, which is now used by Camberwell Grammar, a private boys' school. The station closed on 9 October 1927, along with the passenger service, but goods trains to East Kew railway station passed though the site until 1943.

References

Closed station navigation
Outer Circle line
← Previous station Deepdene Shenley Next station →



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.