World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Tana Qirqos

Article Id: WHEBN0004058750
Reproduction Date:

Title: Tana Qirqos  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Lake Tana, Ark of the Covenant, List of islands of Ethiopia, Bezalel, Aaron's rod
Collection: Amhara Region, Islands of Lake Tana
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Tana Qirqos

Tana Qirqos (variantly spelled Tana Kirkos; also called Tana Chirqos or Tana Chirkos, etc.; Ge'ez: ጣና ቂርቆስ ṭānā ḳīrḳōs, ጣና ጪርቆስ ṭānā č̣īrḳōs) is an island in the eastern part of Lake Tana in Ethiopia, near the mouth of the Gumara River, having a latitude and longitude of . It is considered a holy island, and only monks of the Ethiopian Church live there.

The monks believe that the island was once the resting place of the Ark of the Covenant. According to tradition, the Ark of the Covenant was brought to Tana Kirkos from a Jewish outpost on Elephantine Island in Egypt, and was kept on the island from about 400 BC to AD 400 then later moved to Mary of Zion church in Axum.

When R.E. Cheesman visited Tana Qirqos in 1933, he found a large stratum of rock at the northern end of the island, which looked "like a huge wall of masonry" 400 or 500 yards long and standing about 100 feet high, He recorded that the formation "has been identified as olivine-bearing basalt," and that "in all probability the island gives its name to the lake."[1]

References

  1. ^ R.E. Cheesman, Geographical Journal"Lake Tana and Its Islands", , 85 (1935), p. 498
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.