World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ruffey Creek

Article Id: WHEBN0010811222
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ruffey Creek  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Doncaster, Victoria, Doncaster East, Victoria, Templestowe Lower, Victoria, Geography of the Yarra River
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Ruffey Creek

Ruffey Lake Park
The south-eastern section of Ruffey Lake Park, looking north-west
Location Melbourne, Australia
Coordinates 37°46′32″S 145°08′19″E / 37.7755°S 145.1387°E / -37.7755; 145.1387Coordinates: 37°46′32″S 145°08′19″E / 37.7755°S 145.1387°E / -37.7755; 145.1387

Size 68 Hectares
Opened 1977
Operated by City of Manningham
Terrain Bushland and hills
Vegetation Australian Native, Remnant orchards
Water Ruffey Lake
Paths Vary between sealed and unsealed
Facilities Toilets, barbecues, 2 playgrounds

Ruffey Lake Park (locally Ruffeys) is a park in the City of Manningham, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. It is situated around Ruffey Lake in a portion of a valley through which the Ruffey Creek runs, forming the border between Doncaster and Templestowe. It has 3 main entrances, Victoria St, The Boulevard and King St. Despite being the second largest park in Manningham, second to Westerfolds Park, it is the biggest park managed by the City of Manningham. Formerly orchards, the park has a diverse ecology; this includes a riparian strip of native bushland around the creek, areas of pine trees planted by early settlers and pockets of fruit trees remaining from past orchards.

The park is named after Ruffey Creek, a watercourse that runs through the park which was dammed to irrigate the surrounding orchards, forming Ruffey Lake. During the summer, the park hosts the annual Manningham Carols by Candlelight.


Error creating thumbnail: File seems to be missing:
Error creating thumbnail: File seems to be missing:
Local environmentalists and traditional owners at the Manningham Spring Festival.

After European settlement, the native bushland was cleared for orchards and in 1966 the then City of Doncaster and Templestowe Council purchased land for open space use. Ruffey Creek was dammed in the mid 90's creating Ruffey Lake. Today, the creek and lake serve as storm water drainage basins, rubbish dropped on the streets regularly flows down the creek and there are waste catchers deployed in the lake itself to catch some of this pollution.[1]

The Wurundjeri descendents in the area still have a strong association with Westerfolds Park at Templestowe.


The park has 3 toilet blocks with separate male/female sections. Electric barbecues are distributed throughout the park. There are 2 playgrounds in Ruffey Lake Park; near the Boulevard and Victoria St entrances. In the last 10 years facilities have been upgraded, predominantly the playgrounds, especially the Victoria Street adventure playground. There are sealed pathways giving access to almost every area of the park. These are of standard width and in relatively good condition but do not host dividing lines. The north-west area of the park has fewer facilities.[2]

Victoria St Entrance

The Victoria St entrance is the unofficial main entrance to the park. It hosts a 3 storey adventure playground with swings, slides, ladders, a sandpit, a flying fox, a 4 storey dome with stairs and ladders and more. There are also barbecues, Upgraded(Winter 2011) new Unisex toilets, drinking fountains, maps of the park and an shelters with seating. Concrete tiles on pathways details sponsors and donators to the facilities. A new area for food/drink vendor parking inside the park has been added at the end of the lower carpark.

The Boulevard Entrance

The Boulevard entrance is mainly used by local residents. The playground is surrounded by a hilly area and is smaller than Victoria St but is still in good condition. It contains slides, swings, ladders, monkey bars, a flat area to play footy or soccer and more. It has resources such as barbecues, toilets, a map of the park, drinking fountains and an undercover seating area. The playground is sometimes visited by an ice-cream truck. In the summer, the area around this entrance hosts the Manningham Multicultural Festival in November, Manningham Carols by Candlelight in December and The Iranian Fire Festival in March.

Other features

Just to the south of the lake is a hill used by BMX entusists with many small tracks and a range of jumps, some very dangerous. There is a small, old quarry located near the Victoria Street entrance which is a popular spot for bouldering with cliff faces 5-10m high. This, however, has a sign which prohibits behaviour as such.


Doing Penalty
Having dog within 15m of a playground. $100
Littering $500
Not picking up after dog $100
Feeding ducks in lake $100
Bouldering $100+


See also


External links

  • Profile at Manningham Website
  • Photos at
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.