World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Roure

Article Id: WHEBN0003273062
Reproduction Date:

Title: Roure  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Occitan Valleys, List of botanical gardens in France, GR 5, Arrondissement of Nice, Communes of Alpes-Maritimes
Collection: Communes of Alpes-Maritimes
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Roure

Roure
The church of Saint-Laurent and the town hall, in Roure
The church of Saint-Laurent and the town hall, in Roure
Coat of arms of Roure
Coat of arms
Roure is located in France
Roure
Roure
Coordinates:
Country France
Region Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
Department Alpes-Maritimes
Arrondissement Nice
Canton Saint-Sauveur-sur-Tinée
Intercommunality La Tinée
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) René Clinchard
Area1 40.3 km2 (15.6 sq mi)
Population (2008)2 210
 • Density 5.2/km2 (13/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 06111 / 06420
Elevation 500–2,339 m (1,640–7,674 ft)
(avg. 1,132 m or 3,714 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Roure is a commune located in the department of Alpes-Maritimes department in southeastern France in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur. Its inhabitants are called Rourois. It is a medieval village with agro-pastoral architecture.

Geography

The village is situated at the entrance of the Tinée Valley, at the edge of the Mercantour National Park, at an elevation of 1100 m. The village is accessible by road from Nice through the RN 202, towards Digne then 2205 RD, the RD 30 and RD 130. Also by path through the GR 5. The village contains five little villages: Rougios, lost in the mountains, Tiecs, la Cerise, Puch and Valabres where there was a priest and a school until 1904.

Toponymy

The first indication of the village dates from 1067 under the name "Rora", derived from the Latin word "robur" which means "oak". Villagers raised and tended cows and goat herds on behalf of their owners and concluded business under a large oak tree. Hence, the origin of the village’s name.

Population

Sights

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.